1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by J&JProperty, Aug 20, 2002.

1. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

The question was asked to me by one of our workers - would an 8' V-Box spreader work in the back of our shortbed trucks(beds are 6'6")? Now currently we run all tailgate spreaders - most of our trucks are shortbed. I got to thinking, if I built up the rear bumper with extra support and put a deck over it (kinda like a sheet of 1" plywood or sheet steel) or even 4x4 runners, would it work ? :confused: So here is my question for all to answer - is it possible? Any comments are welcome.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Could you mount it? Yes. Would it work? Yes.

However that would be way too much weight out past the rear axle IMO. It would be like hooking a trailer with really heavy tongue weight to the truck. I don't think the rear suspension or frame would hold up.

Why not just pick up a 6-7 foot spreaders that many companies offer? Ice-O-Way, Boss, Sno-way and others make spreaders for shorter beds of small trucks and the new fullsize supercabs.
  3. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

I have no intention of trying this, it was a question posed to me and I thought this would be a good place to get some different points of view and responses. With the way we operate now, V-Box is not practical, by the time we get blowers and push spreaders in the trucks along with everything else....
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree with CT, that combo would be a handful to keep on the road during bad weather. Too much wieght would be lifted from the front.
  5. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Check out Sno-way they just came out with a 6' v box spreader with a vibrator and it is priced reasonably.