1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HolleysSnow, Sep 12, 2011.

1. HolleysSnow

HolleysSnow Junior Member

So im looking for a v-box spreader for a 1 ton. what spreaders have you had best luck with..poly/steel? Electric/Gas? Im looking at either Buyers, SnowEx, or Western

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

As far as gas v boxes go....they are all very similar in design. You cant go wrong with any of them really. As far as electric, Snow Ex has fewer issues most of the time than other brands...however they are more expensive. First and formost, which brand is your local dealer going to be able to service, thats what you should look at first, the quality,then price. Swenson and Downeaster make great units at reasonable prices

3. HolleysSnow

I got priced at $5900 for a snowex 8500 which is a 2yd capacity and $6166 for a western tornado 1.8 yd capacity. i have had a snowex tailgate and never have had a problem in the 3 yrs ive had it. I guess i would be between the buyers and snowex spreader, plus the dealer is not a min from our shop. anyone have any opinions on the buyers? considerably cheaper than the snowex

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is the truck worth putting hydraulics on? Once you use hydraulic salters you will have a hard time using anything else. They are pretty much bullet proof.

5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We have some Swenson 2 yard SS electrics that are pretty nice, 4450.00, the buyers SS electric is 3999.00

6. kuhndogg

kuhndogg Junior Member

I've got a Buyers 1.5 yarder and I absolutly love it. The cost was perfect on it and it works great. I normally run Snoway v boxes and I love them too. All are electric. Its nice and quiet in condos and residentall areas. Around here dealers are sick of selling snow-ex. There getting out of selling them. Only selling parts and working on them. Thats my imput.

7. HolleysSnow

I know I have figured it out in the past but how many tons does that 1.5 yd hold? 1-2 ton? and why are they stopping selling snowexs. that was my first choice for awhile now but have heard great things about the buyers lately..

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

1 yard is approx. 1 ton.

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Snowex benefits from their marketing strategy, but if you figure out the sum of their parts, they're overpriced. Considering it's a piece of plastic (like some of the others) supported by a painted steel frame that will rust quickly, you're really not getting what you pay for. For the same money, you can buy a damn nice stainless steel unit that's not going to rust before you ever put a load of salt in it. :nod:

10. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I bought 2 new Salt Dogg Poly-V Box spreaders last year and absolutely loved them. Had SnowEx for years, decent product, but their controllers are junk and expensive to replace. (IMO) You will make the same profit with a $3200 spreader as you will with one that costs almost twice as much. Also, the SnowEx frames rust really bad and there is nothing to rust out on the Salt Dogg Poly-V. Just my 2 cents !

11. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

I have a Salt Dogg Poly-V Box 2yd. as well, absolutely love it, very simple unit, no problems whatsoever, friend of mine runs SnowEx and his auger always would jam, no trouble with mine, which if it jams auto-reverses and tries again. Only downside to poly is if you drop it or hit it with a loader, chances are your going to break it, and it is not as easy to weld a poly box back together as it is to pound a dent or weld a stainless or steel box. But if your careful with your equipment, no worries.

12. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

smith metal works in newark ny
    they are local to me but they are by far the best stainless steel. mine is 4 years old and looks brand new. replaced only a cable i cut ooops and a spinner shaft bearing that i forgot to grease before storing it in the off season. it has electric motors they can build anything from a 1/2 yard to mosters seen on state trucks with hydros and brinenozzles they are not cheap but buy one and done

13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Was a little leery at first but after using them for a season I became a dealer for them. The series IV kicks ass. Are you running a II or a IV?

14. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We have a nice Swenson SS electric...has flip up chute, auger...very nice unit

15. battags

battags Member

Respectfully, of course, I must disagree. My snow-ex 8000 was nothing but headaches for the first two seasons I owned it. I went through 3 digital control boxes (before switching to a solid state controller) and an auger transmission. It got so bad at my dealership, SnowEx reps came down to see the unit in person. Befuddled and confused, they gave me a new unit but I insisted on keeping the solid state controller. If other spreaders were this bad, I can't see a company staying in business. Worse yet, a company just north of me bought 13 of the same units and had 10 with the same problems as mine. I will never buy SnowEx / Trynex again.

16. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Love our Buyers 1.5yd Poly/electric. nice product

17. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yes, there are always lemons in there some where, cant deny that

18. sluggish

sluggish Junior Member

Wow there is quite a variety of responses and opinions(as there always is) so I'll add my 2 cents just to confuse you a bit more. My first unit was a Snow-Ex simply because it came on the truck I bought. It ran flawless for the 2 seasons I used it, then I sold it to a buddy and it has been flawless for him for the last 2 seasons. Only sold it because it was just a 1 yard model and I needed bigger. I then picked up a 2 yard metal v-box with a Briggs & Stratton a couple years ago. Ran great and still does,(I keep it as a back up unit) but it annoys me to have to fill it with gas all the time plus it is definitely loud. No vibrator on it either so I have to whack the side with a rubber mallet every now and then. Last year i bought the Buyers Salt Dogg 2 yard poly unit, nice and quiet but the auger does tend to jam up on me every now and then. Get out with a wrench and turn the shaft a bit and it frees up but it is annoying. So in conclusion, the Snow Ex gave me the fewest problems(zero) and if they weren't so darn expensive I would have bought another one. For durability, reliability and ability to withstand abuse, I would say it's pretty tough to beat a steel unit with a B&S motor if you can tolerate the noise and the re-fuelling. I will run my Buyers poly unit again this year but will make a few mods that will hopefully reduce the jamming up. My next one will be a hydraulic unit to put into the back of my tandem. Hope it's clear as mud now.:dizzy:

19. Stan

Stan Senior Member

smith metal works in newark ny
    they are local to me but they are by far the best stainless steel. mine is 4 years old and looks brand new. replaced only a cable i cut ooops and a spinner shaft bearing that i forgot to grease before storing it in the off season. it has electric motors they can build anything from a 1/2 yard to mosters seen on state trucks with hydros and brinenozzles they are not cheap but buy one and done
    I would agree

20. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Good guys! I look forward to using my new 4yd Medium Duty I bought from them! Thumbs Up