1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Spreader Ttroubleshooting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Here's the deal, we run sand through all of our units before the season to see how they work under a load. Those that had issues were repaired and we thought we were ready....OOPS.

We had one go down with a blown belt (ice breakers) spreaders get new belts pre-season. This one's a lesson.

We had one go down to a stuck float/carb issue, maybe driving aroind or a chuck of crap, who knows but I can take that one as part of the business. We rigged it and got it running the rest of the storm, new carb installed yesterday to aviod same future issue. Inside of bowl was a bit corroded so replacing seemed wise over repair.

We had one go down 2 times and a driver without a clue, this one bugs me, GREAT employee, but the mechanical aptitude of a gnat. Brought the truck back in 2 times umplugged, greased and replugged connection @ rear of truck and checked/jiggled wires to controller, spreader functioned fine. SO seems to me if we gave the guys a checklist of poss 5 min fixes that we'd have saved at least 1 hour of drive time back and forth to repair this silly issue.

Does anyone do have such a "qiuck check guide" type thing? We already do pre/post inspections on vehicles, plows and salters for operation. Seems like a simple way to prevent lost time of service. Thoughts...............
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i go through stuff before the season starts like you stated. i also run my spreader before i load it, then i run it before i go out. i think you just have to get the bugs out, seems to happen in the begining of the season. really if your wiggling wires i would replace the plug for 20 bucks rather than mess with. i always like to replace the coils on the motors that dont have points, they always seem to go at a bad time. other than that its just luck i guess:drinkup:
  3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I change the solenoids every year and keep a jumper box in the truck. A check list would be a good idea.
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Factory plugs got cut off the day I bought my Western V boxes, always used trailer hitch plugs when possible. Silicone where the wire goes in the back of female and male plugs. Dielectric grease once a year, replace plugs roughly every 5-6 years. Belts? Not for me! Chain Chain Chain.