1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box spreader spacing question, can I put a fuel tank there

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JMS, Aug 22, 2010.

1. JMS

JMS Member

I am looking at getting the 2.5 yard spreader fo my 05 chev 3500 DRW with an 8'box.

Now first off from pictures I've seen you need to add blocks between the spreader and the front of the truck bed, it looks like almost a foot or so, is this correct?

second, could I substitute the blocks and put a fuel transfer tank in that space instead, I believe you can get them where they are only 1/2 to 1 foot wide, has anyone done this?

Thanks

John

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

We add wood blocks in front of our spreaders, to insure they cant slide forward and damage the spreader. (about a foot or so)

Also I don't think a transfer tank would work in that situtation. If you had to add a transfer tank mabey you could block the spreader all the way across the bed and secure it so it can't go anywhere, then place a transfer tank on top of that. I am not sure whats avaible though. Make sure when you add the blocks the drag chain doesn't rub agnest it when it runs. Also it would make cleaning out the bed of any excess salt kind of a pita.

Bossman

3. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

With the tornado, your supposed to build a spacer that the instructions are in the manual so they dont slide forward. Last year i didnt but thank god i didnt have a problem, mine didnt slide forward at all when i would stop hard even fully loaded and having a bed liner in. The chutes cost around $1,000 on the generation 2, you dont want to destroy them. You can space with whatever you want as long as theres enough room. The transfer tank is a good idea and i think i might just try it :nod:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'd like to revisit this thread. I was going to make one about it, but found this.

I'm rearranging my situation, and I am moving my 8' Henderson V box into my 3500 srw soon to be 8' flat bed. Problem is, given the use/situation of this particular truck, I need to have a 90 gallon L shape weather guard fuel tank in there.

How do people do this? Will I have to buy a smaller/narrower tank instead?

Any pics would be great..

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If it's an 8' spreader on 8' flat bed how will you find room for a tank? If you mean 8' wide and longer you could raise the spreader on beams to sit over the tank you have at the front.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013