1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Spreader Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by George Leger, Dec 19, 2015.

1. George Leger

George Leger Junior Member

I’m looking at adding another VBox spreader to my fleet. It will be going on my 2011 GMC 1 Ton Dually Crew cab pickup fitted with a 9’6” Western MVP steel plow. We have a Western Tornado spreader with a pintle chain conveyor. We’re not very happy with the spreading on this unit … it doesn’t spread very evenly or very far out to the sides. We’re looking at a new SnowEx unit with an auger. Now I should mention that we only use rock chips … no sand or salt. I wonder how an auger will work with this type of material and if it will stand up over time. Do any of you have any experience with using rock chips and VBox spreaders?? Any brand recommendations or ones to stay away from??

Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas

Praying for snow or freezing rain tymusic

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Not exactly whAt your looking for but we run a 75/25 sand/salt mix, just went to look at buying a boss vbox, dealer said no, pushed me to buy a cheaper Henderson chain vbox as apparently the boss vbox doesn't work well with a mix higher than 50/50.

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

look at the hiniker electric auger unit. bought three last year. very nice unit

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Don't get a snow ex. I can run anything out of my boss vbx 8000 even straight dirt. (I've tried) my mix is close to 70/30 crushed granite and salt.

5. George Leger

George Leger Junior Member

Hi BRL1 ... Does your Boss vbx 8000 spreader have an auger or chain???
    Also I did look at a Boss and noticed there seemed to be a flat section of the V just before the chain drive and I thought that material would stop flowing there.
    Do you have a vibrator on your's???

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I had a snow ex and it sucked so I have first had experience with them. My boss has a pintle chain and I don't have a inverted v the v baffle isn't required with the boss. But you can add it if you feel you want to. I have dual vibrators on the boss. If you are running any type of sand or grit other than straight salt you need a chain. If not the material will bridge over the auger and it won't feed.

7. alpine779

alpine779 Member

We run a VBX boss as well, removed the baffle, have a pintle chain and run wet sand that's mixed with maybe 15% salt. Just enough so the pile doesn't freeze on us. Never had an issue with it spreading.