1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box spreader options?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hvf, Dec 5, 2013.

1. hvf

hvf Junior Member

Looking to purchase a spreader with a 3 to 4 yard capacity, any thoughts on the different spreaders on the market would be greatly appreciated. Any pros/cons between manufacturers, drag chains vs. augers, poly vs. stainless, etc. I do mix some cinders with salt at the area the spreader will be used, not sure if that matters or not...
  2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a boss vbx 8000 electric with drag chain.. $5200..
    I love it, I run gas spreaders and now can't wait till get rid of them..
    I was going to buy the salt dog for $3500 but my sales guy said a lot of complaints because the auger would suck after the salt is wet ..
    I went for the boss.. also match the boss v plow and red powerstroke
  3. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

My Saltdog never clogged yet. And for your dealer to say that is a good sales pitch. All the 3-4yd Saltdog have the poly cover unlike the Boss. Im not knocking the Boss because it does look like a great salter.
  4. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I just bought the boss vbx this year today, auger style. It was a toss up for a salt dogg as well, but I have a friend that has a big business and has about twenty of them. He buys them because they are cheap but he has a full time guy that fixes them. He said mainly the vibrators go out on them all the time. My brother has a snow ex and bought it used and hasn't had any problems with it. I went with the boss to try it out. I love the cover it has on it too. Here is my truck.
  5. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

I have a screw auger type as well as drag chain models. The dealer may have meant that the salt bridges up badly on the salt dogg screw type models even with the vibrator on. there have been many days I have wanted to set mine on fire because the salt will not flow at all when it gets wet or extremely cold. Drag chain is the only way to go for bulk salt in my experience.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

. Drag chain is the only way to go for bulk salt in my experience.

Never had salt only related issues with our snowex's....augers on them...fyi
  7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Monroe 3.1cyd hydraulic with auger and inverted v. It was bought with 1 vibrator mounted on the right rear side. I added a second vibrator that I removed from an old tailgate spreader I got rid of and mounted it to the left front side, (opposite original vibrator). I have NEVER had a bridging issue in the 3 years I have run this spreader. I have run ONLY bulk salt through it, sometimes even wet bulk when loaded. Never froze or bridged.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

So I just used my new vbx yesterday. We had a small storm so I only was able to use it a few times. I still have old salt from last year uncovered. It has been rained on, snowed on. I loaded it up and it works great in my vbx salter. I didn't have any problems with it clogging or anything. This is the auger style 2014 boss vbx 8000
  9. PWW

PWW Junior Member

The 4 yard buyers dose not have a poly cover it comes with a tarp type cover. If you don't cover it they suck bad if you put the tarp on they work ok