1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v box spreader not spinning

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by kshliapa, Jan 20, 2009.

1. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

We have a ss Vbox spreader that we got last year.We had problems with it since we recieved it.When loaded with 2yds of salt it cannot turn the belt.This year we had the same problem so we removed all material checked all connectors.All ok.Found the magnet inside the motor was broken into pieces.Completely dissasembled motor and drive chain, replaced motor and got the belt to turn with no product inside.Lubed the entire chain adjusted tension according to manual.Yesterday we loaded the unit aqnd it will not turn the belt with 2 yds of salt.The vehicle has a new battery, and we had the spreader in a different truck last year and it did the same thing.The motor is only 1/2hp- Does anyone know if there is a bigger motor to get ? The local dealer here had mentioned something about blue motor/black motor?-The motor that was in the unit last year was black and the replacement was blue.This is getting really frustrating as this thing has not worked since day one and we are recieving no help from local distributor.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

turn the input shaft of the gear reduction box. See if the output shaft turns, you need to apply some resistance to the conveyor chain. It's possible you have a sheared key way in the gear reduction box

3. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

everything turns by hand- and the belt starts to spin but then it is like there is too much weight and it stops.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the motor spin?

5. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

yes the motor spins, and the spreader starts to move(slowly) then stops.When there is no product in it, it works fine.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd guess sheared key in the gear reduction box

7. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

removed cover from gearbox removed bearing and the key is not sheared.When spinning the spinner by hand it moves.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

With a load on it?

9. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

Yes.With salt in it and turning the spinner by hand everything moves.When you flip the switch it will start to turn then turn off.Maybe the controller is turning it off prematurely.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

can you turn the input shaft?

11. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

I dont have everything dissasembled now- but when i turn the spinner everything moves- I called snow way today and left a message

12. kshliapa

kshliapa Junior Member

ok- spoke with sno way today and discovered after a year of frustration and wasted time and energy that the controller box installed is the wrong one.It has an adjustable control which apparently doesnt work with the v spreader.I made a fused jumper and jumped out the box and the motor turns with all of the product in it.And for the icing on the cake, after talking to the parts manager who purchased it the installer told him that they had used the wrong one so that we could use it while they ordered the correct one and to come pick up the correct one a week later and left a message four times.I hate when people cost me time and frustration.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek:So you were trying to run and electric V box with a variable speed control.
    There's nothing like a knowledgeable dealerROFLMAO

14. jhess

jhess Junior Member

Warren,
    Thanks for your great participation. Tom O'Brien and Mike Stevens insisted I become more involved on plowsite to relieve pressures on Tom. I have learned so darn much about the SW product line I thought I knew so well from reading your responses. Now that Tom is no longr with Sno-Way all of our efforts become even more crucial.
    Jeff Hess / Sno-Way