1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box spreader beacon/strobe

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Dec 10, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

hey today i saw a beacon mounted on a v box somehow. Do any of you guys do this, i wish i snapped a pic but i didnt. how do you mount one and where do you get the power from??
    i also have seen the road commission with these.
    does any one have a pic?

2. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

pretty simple to do for either gas or electric. i just did one the other day. we have gas stainless spreaders. just take a piece of flat stock, drill 4 holes, line it up, drill the same holes in the top of the engine housing. now u have a place to mount a magnetic strobe to. i spliced into the power after the starter(so it would only be running when the spreaders running) and then the neg directly to the main ground. pretty simple and is a great security feature. you can also run spot lights off this to see where the salts going or to see into your hopper.
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have a couple tier-3's mounted on my salt dogg. They tuck under the lip of the poly hopper. I had a dedicated wire and switch (truckside) run to a weatherpac fitting that stays with the v-box when it comes out. I leave em on for plowing too. They draw less then 1 amp :)