1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Side Extension--Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DuallySnoPusher, Oct 24, 2007.

1. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Im looking to put some side extensions on my vbox, what is the best way to attach the boards on the side. I was considering a piece of angle iron, but if there is something better please let me know and if you have pics that would be great.

Im not worried about the extra weight, im trying to get a little extra payload but mostly trying to keep that salt from spilling off the side of the hopper into my bed.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I used 2X2 angle iron in the corners and a 3x8 flat piece in the middle. I then put 2X6 pressure treated lumber around the top. Works great.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

2x8 lumber all around, painted with oil based rustoleum black and 6"x12" pieces of Al Diamond Plate Flat Stock (2 sections on each side) Bolted through the lumber and plate. Ill take some pictures this weekend.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

2"*6" C channel cut at 45degrees at the corners.

5. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I'm looking to do this same thing and have some ideas in my head for my setup.

What I have thought of is this...welding some tubing on the inside of the vbox. Say 1/2" tube, about 6" long. On each corner and on the long side of the spreader, one in the middle so a total of 6 pieces of tubing.

Then, I would have a box made of 12" steel, sheet metal, along those lines but a heavier guage. It would be bolted together with agle iron in the corners. Where I have welded the tubing in the sander, I would have 3/8" steel rod protruding from the bottom of my 12" steel box..so the rod would slip into the tubing on my spreader. It would be removable and not permanent and could easily pull it up to take it off. Make sense?

6. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Im just going to buy 3 inch angle iron and drill a few holes and bolt one to each corner. Then bolt some 2x10s or what ever to the angle iron. If i want to remove i can just unbolt.

7. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

What sander do you have? Hiniker and western I know make extensions you just bolt on..