1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Salters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jeffclc, Jan 4, 2000.

1. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I have always heard that you should never leave salt in a spreader overnight outside because it will freexe solid.<p>I have been toying with the idea of a V-box for next season(tired of fooling with bags). The problem that is plaguing me is that I have know way of storing or loading salt at my location. I would have to rely on local suppliers for the salt. Since I usually have to go out very early in the morning(3am) the supply yards will be closed. This would force me to get loaded the day before a storm is predicted. I would have to be loaded before the supply yard closes, 5pm. This would mean that the salt would be sitting out in the hopper for about 12 hours. Is this going to cause a problem?<p>Another problem that I have is that if I get loaded beforehand, and the weather forecast is worng, what do I do with the hopper full of salt?<p>I have toyed with the idea of using some kind of heater in the hopper to keep it from freezing. I was thinking of something along the lines of the tape that you install in the gutters of your house to keep them from freezing. I could plug it in while the truck is sitting, but would that be enough to keep the salt from freezing?<p>Another idea I had was kinda unrealistic, but warrants some thought. Something along the lines of a heated bed like the asphalt trucks use to keep the asphalt soft during transport. The trucks exhaust travels through the floor and sides of the bed, and heats the bed. Now, that is really not practical for this application.<p>So what do you guys do that use V boxes? Do you depend on your supplier? Load your own? Something different? <p>PS If I had the means to load the material my self, I would have no question of what to do, but lacking a loader, I am a bit troubled.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

This is what I do, I cram all my trucks with spreaders in them into my shop. Now if this isn't an option, and it still doesn't solve the problem with the weather. The forcasters are never 100% correct. Last night at 11 pm they said all the snow would turn to rain by 2 and be washed away. Well they were wrong we plowed about 1&quot; of snow and ice this morning, and then we had freezing rain during the day.<p>Anyways i also get my sand and salt from a local supply yard. They gave me a key to their loader, and all the trucks with sanders on them have the key. The employees that run the sanders are my best. This way i can get sand long before everyone else shows up, so i don't have to sit in line. I also don't have to worry about having the spreaders sit full, if the forcast is wrong.<p>Geoff

3. snowpros

snowpros Guest

there are a couple of ways to solve your dilemma, but trying to heat a v-box is not one of them.first,its not the cold that causes the problem its the mosture the salt pulls out of the air or the wet sand that causes the destructive nature of salt.if you coat the salt with ice-ban or magic-0 it will incapsulate the salt and make the salt anti-corrosive there for saving your sander from the salt. there are suppliers of these 2 products out there.magic also comes in 50lb bags which can be mixed into your loaded sander.if you want to learn more about these products or where the closest supplier is contact us

4. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

Like I said, I get strange thoughts at 3am. <p>Yes, Please give me the details of the coated salt, and also distributors/dealers. I am located near Pittsburgh. I have not seen or heard of this in our area.<p>Jeff<br>jeff@crossanlawncare.com

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Check with local suppliers, there are two near me in CT, one in Bloomfield and one in Manchester which stay open 24 hours during storms. As for myself, I pick up a load when a storm is expected and tie a blue tarp over the load so it stays dry.<p>Bill

6. bill

bill Junior Member

I think when you have a v box you first<br>need some way to load it.<br>Either your own equipment, rental equipment,<br>supply house or other.<br>What about those rental places that lease<br>garage space. You could store salt in<br>one of those near you. Or just use a large<br>capacity tailgate spreader.<br>How many times do you have to fill it up<br>to be equivalent to the v- box spreader?<br>For the cost of the v - boxes unless you<br>have big jobs it will not be easy to recoup<br>your outlay of about 3000.00<br>But alot depends on your accounts and what<br>your customers will pay for salting? Most<br>of my customers are cheap and don't want<br>to pay for anything. One huge healtcare<br>center asked for a quote. The guy thought<br>I made a mistake and put an extra 0 in<br>my price. I told him there was no mistake.<br>Must be some real cheap plowers who run<br>the chance of making a profit for everybody<br>else? I guess supply and demand is the equation. I don't know to many guys who<br>use v boxes except one guy who had a whole<br>shopping mall. The other big guys just<br>use tailgate spreaders and reload as needed.<br>They don't have to worry about loaders.<br>Good luck. Just my opinion.<br>bill<br>

7. ADM Services

ADM Services Junior Member

Wow, I guess were just spoiled up here in MI. Salting is big in my area, and I sell it like crazy. Salt apps enable you to control the conditions on the properties you are managing (to an extent at least. We have on tailgate spreader for our dump truck, and another v type spreader. On our route we use four different suppliers of our bulk salt. This keeps use from driving back and fourth all night. All of these suppliers are on call like us during the winter. If there is even a trace of precip and the temp is freezing they are open. It really has worked out great. <br>As for your delema. I have had the salt freeze up on me before, that sucks. Do you know anybody who owns a loader or skid steer. Maybe you can work out a deal that suits you both. <br>As soon as we get enough room too store our own salt we will. The $ you save is well worth it.<br>Andy

8. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Actually, heating the box would make it worse. Hot salt, cold air, means lots of condensation, which will help solidify the salt. As mentioned, it will absorb moisture out of the air as well. Sharing someone else's pile and loader is a godd idea too. Kinda hard, if you don't know anyone. Lots lof landscapers here share yards, and back hoes. Let each other use 5 yd dumps, etc.<br>Plowing solo, is often a quick death for the business. Break downs can lose contracts fast. Got someone to cover your accounts if your trucks break? Try talking to them about splitting a yard, or loader. Talk to friends, who have friends, connections are the way to go. A salt pile doesn't take up much space, in a big yard. Especially if you keep the pile small, as in a 5 yd load. Now if you had a conveyor, like an asphalt milling machine......<p><br>~Chuck<br><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

9. m&m owner

m&m owner Member
    from MN

I've kept salt/sand in my v-box for a few days I make sure it's tarped so snow don't get in. I use a shovel handle to poke through and bridging or frozen spots. But its not a good idea to store in your sander. If you don't have a skid loader you might want a tailgate spreader.

10. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i was in the same boat as you. i only salt a couple times a year. i bought a tail gate spreader when they want it i just roll it to the truck it attaches to the hitch. takes less than five min. i store a pallet of salt in my heated garage ,it does not have to be heated . it costs more this way than buying it in bulk, i just pass the cost on.,if you are planing on doing some serious salting you will need a bobcat and an enclosed area to store the salt . the friend stuff does not work out to well ,during a storm every is to busy etc.