1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v- box salter issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by john0013, Sep 30, 2009.

1. john0013

john0013 Junior Member

have a snowex 8500 v box salter,its the newer model with the auger that runs the full length of the polly box.I bought the thing new 1.5 years ago and its worked great until recently.the salt flows out of the thing slower than molases now even when the material flow rate is turned up all the way on the controll box.Ive watched the auger and it seems to be turning at the correct speed the vibrator motor is working fine and the salt i'm using is bone dry pristine salt.But none the less it still takes 45 minutes to empty 2 yards of salt with the material flow rate turned all the way up,I mean it just barely spits it out. nothing is clogged or anything like that either.I have two other salters of the exact same model purchased at the same time and they work great.I've even brought this problem salter in to be looked at and they couldnt find anything wrong with it.I think its a very settle problem that gets worse when there is a load in the salter or somthing?If anyone has any insite on this problem please help.Could the auger motor be going slowly? is the controll box acting up?vibrator motor less powerfull than it used to be new?

thanks john

2. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

I haven't messed with salters that much, but if you had it since new and everything has slow evenly . I would look for a bad ground ,,,,just a thought . Good luck , Sorry I didn't have a better sulotion.

3. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

how far are you driving?

ive heard from 2 people now with those electric poly hopper spreaders

they tell me they suck for traveling to different sites lloaded...the salt settles and barely comes out, or completely stops altogether

the one guy was saying he now keeps a pile at each site to load and use there..driving any more than a mile makes the salt settle and stop the auger

but being it used to work... make sure your cables are clean and not longer than they used to be. check the ground, make sure everything is lubed, worst case splurge for a new motor, the brushes & drum in the motor can corrode and create a loss of power, like which happens with fried starters