1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Salter Input

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Phil1747, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

I am a smaller company that was offered a larger lot and am looking at upgrading my equipment. I am looking at a Snow Ex sp 7550/8500 or a snow dog 2 yd poly box. I know Snow Ex makes a better box as does fisher/boss over the Snow Ex. I am looking around for a used one but might consider buying one new. I am looking for 2 boxes, one for a 3500 chevy with duals and a new F250 these trucks are only getting salters for now as we have pushers on site and they are are daily drivers. How much of a pain in the a** is it to get the boxes out? i have never taken one out except at the start and end of the season as the place i work has them in 24/7. I do have a skid with forks to move them in and out. Any input would be great? Is that $3k difference worth it new? Both boxes will be washed and greased after every use.
    Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Kinda a pain to take on and off all the time IMO. I bolt ours in and leave them. But they are all on bigger tks. I would go new IF the price was right. Warranty and no rust is also nice

3. green ace

green ace Junior Member

I would buy new as well...sometimes by trying to save a dollar you lose two dollars. Ive got 3 salt doggs (1.5 yrd, 2 yrd, and 4 yrd all poly electric) and never had an issue ... in all ive owned 5 of them now and highly recommend them.

4. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

green ace how old are they and do you run 100% salt, how much was your 2yd? Im getting prices in the park of 5850 for a salt ex and 3500 for the dogs. There isn't a warranty on the dogs either right?

5. green ace

green ace Junior Member

Our prices here in Canada will be much higher than yours. Ive had the 2 and 1.5 yard salters for 3 or 4 years now. If you maintain and store them properly you wont have a problem. A lot of guys knock them because they are the cheapest out there but from my experience they have never failed me. Also, the 2 yard version is the largest capacity salter for a short box. This year they came up with a 2.2 yard salt dogg as well.

6. dieselss

We have snowex. Always run 100% salt. Unless the salt gets massively wet and forms the crust that part is ok. I have replaced a few motors and trans and controllers. Dealer support is pretty good in our area so not a ton of down time. Only big problem is the frames are showing the nasty rust that is gunna eat them up

7. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

How old are they?

8. dieselss

The 1.5 (3 of them) and 2.0 (just one) about 6yrs.
    One 4yd is 3 and the other 2 are about 2
    Now all the controllers are left in the tks all year round so ill say thats half our faults. The rusting out, well we don't keep perfect care of them but it is what it is