1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box salter Covers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eager Beaver, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Does any one know of a company that sells covers for V Box salters. Want to be able to load the night before a storm but would like to cover the salt so it doesn't get wet before the next morning. Could use a tarp but would rather have something easy on and off when you reload:gunsfiring:

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Call Tim at Tri-Chlor, 616-838-0700.

They are a custom fiberglass place in Hastings who will make a glass top very similar to what a tailgate salter has, as thin or as thick as you want it to slip over the top for the night. You could add the rubber strap type holders to the side such as tailgate units have if you want to transport.
  3. Eager Beaver

Thanks Tom,
    I will give him a call this week. How's things on the Western side of the state? When the snow starts falling over there give me a call I'll know I have about an hour to get ready unless it piddles out before it gets here. Last year I know you guys got hamered quite abit and then it went north of Lansing. Save some for us!!!
    Take care,
  4. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

just a word to the wise, you shouldn't really load your salter til your ready to use it.
  5. Eager Beaver

I agree about storing the salt in it however I would only be loading it around 8:00 pm for a 2:00 am route and the truck will be inside a building most of the time out of the weather.

I have a old Boss Vbox spreader and I am thinking about setting it up to load tailgate salters. I am going to keep it on a spare truck that way I can load it and then fill the tailgate spreaders instead of lifting 80lb. bags of salt. Basically just using the conveyer chain hooked up to a 110 volt moter at the shop. May end up using a gas moter and that way I could fill the guys on their routes at differant locations. Not sure how fast it will be but just a thought. This way I can carry 2 tons of salt to reload :gunsfiring: What's everyone think of that idea? Just a thought!!