1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box salt sreaders prefrences

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eager Beaver, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Looking in to purchasing a new VBox 8' salt spreader and the Lesco dealer in this area is blowing out last years models. They are made by Hghway from what I understand under the Lesco and the Curtis name. I am familuar with the Monroe brand name which makes the western and the boss V Boxes. Also Buyers is suppose to make a VBox salter that also is comparably priced. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've got to make a decision tomorrow October 15 as they are holding one for me. :confused:

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Do you do a lot of business with Lesco? If you feel you will get good service from them, that might not be a bad route to go. You will likely pay more, so the service has to justify the additional cost.

I buy things for the green season from Lesco. That is what they are best at. I think others are better at snow and ice needs.

It just depends on so many factors. I might suggest you stick to those you ARE familiar with in this case.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i love my swenson

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Eager Beaver, I'm not sure you have this in your area but my recommendation is a Fisher ProCaster with a 10hp Honda. This year you can get the stainless model with the Honda.

5. Eager Beaver

Hey guys thanks for the comments.
    I have to agree that Lesco does have good Lawn products and I think that is why they are getting out of the Salter end on the V_Boxes. Most customers are not aware that they were supplying them. I wouldn't even consider them however we are talking about a good discount on these and they say service is no problem. Did talk to one of their customers that were using the Lesco(Highway) brand last year and were very happy with it however its the second and third year I am worried about if you know what I mean.
    As far as Fisher they are not that popular here as they are out east. Most here use Western or Boss which are Monroe's

6. RYAN SMITH

RYAN SMITH Junior Member
    from PA

We use AIR-FLO spreaders both stainless and steel and have no problems with them.They all our central hyd but if i had to choose a spreader with an engine i would make sure it has a HONDA engine.

7. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I second the Honda. I use to be a Briggs fan but after all the problems with them I've been slowly switching over to all Hondas. You will pay $200.00 more for a Honda but ithey start every time.

John

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I can't complain about the service I've gotten from my Briggs motors, and one on a sander. My leaf blowers all start first pull, even after sitting all season in storage, and the sander motor always starts first time out too. Granted, they use a bit of oil, but I've found them to be reliable.

9. Eager Beaver

Ended up going with a Lesco made by HIWay. It has a Briggs engine however I use to work at Walbro Corporation that did carb calibrations and dyno work and are familuar with them. The price was right for this area @ $2400.00 which included a inverted V, top screen, battery, and full inside controls. Most prices around here were a grand more. With a little maintenance it should last awhile and was almost down to the price of a tailgate spreader. Suppose to be here next Thursday so I'll post and let you know what I think afterwards. So Let it snow ,Let it snow, Let it snow!!!! (after next Thursday). Thanks guys for all the input. :cool:

10. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Wow. That is a good price. If I'd have known that, I'd have given a different answer. I am sure you will be happy with your new spreader.

11. Eager Beaver

Update:
    Just to update spreader was suppose to be in two weeks ago however kept calling to see where it was at my local Lesco dealer and they kept saying it was on its way (so is the snow). Finally got a straight answer from the district manager and guess what "none avalible and they just forgot to let me know. Talk about pissed off. Ended up getting a used Boss 8' spreader (2 years old) which I am suppose to pick up today. I did notice that the chain and such is pretty tight any suggestions on getting it loosened up before I start it. it is just from sitting out side. Should I take it off and soak it in something or whats everyones suggestions on getting it ready. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'd have been a jerk and really blasted them, but my local Lesco guys try, and that has to count for something. On the other hand, telling your customers that would not do any good if it snowed and you were "caught with your pants down."

I'm definitely not trying to say, "I told you so." I know how frustrating these situations can be. You learned something and you didn't have to break a promise to your customer this time, fortunately. ;)

13. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I felt the same way, however,

I have had both and just yesterday I had to pull the fuel tank off my v-box with a Honda 9hp and fix a hole in the bottom of the tank. Plus I could not get it to shut off, I guess in the salt enviroment they work in you can't help some minor repairs here and there. :mad:

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just back the adjusters for the apron chain off some, and engage the clutch. Oil the chain as it moves, and when things are all loosened up, readjust the chain.
    Dino

15. Eager Beaver

plowking35,
    Thanks for the suggestion on getting it running. Was off line for almost 2 weeks. Computer crashed with a nasty virus. Lost everything. All I know is the virus started with a C and it erased all files.
    Guys upgrade your virus scans at least every 3 months. Wished I would of. 5 years of stuff on the hard drive gone with no way of saving any of it. Talk about a bummer.
    Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow,:cool: