1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box Salt Spreaders ????????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DRB0528, Nov 8, 2006.

1. DRB0528

DRB0528 Junior Member

I'm in the market for a new v box salt spreader for my 1 ton dump. There are so many to choose from. I want to go either poly or stainless and it has to have flip up chute. Do i go electric or gas? If electric what brand? If gas what brand?
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Why don't you get an underbody since you got the dump already, take advantage of it! Get a hydrolic or electric
  3. DRB0528

DRB0528 Junior Member

My dump bed is hydrolic and the pto pump is only good for 1300 rpm, so i can't drive around with the bed up for extended amounts of time or the pump will overheat. Don't want to risk it.
  4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

plus with under tailgate you tend to lose some salt when in route. A vbox is more efficient with less lose. If your looking for a flip up chute then look into Sno-way. Kind of expensive but worth the money.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh? Lose salt? How?

Benefits of under tailgate--lower center of gravity, more capacity in the same truck vs. v-box, ability to use the truck all season as a dump truck without removing the spreader, better visibility out the back.

Can't help out with the electric vs gas, we have only hydrualic. One V-box and one under tailgate model. From what I hear from the users here, sounds like a good electric is the way to go, too many issues with gassers trying to start\keep running and electric clutches freezing and going bad constantly.
  6. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

We have a gas vbox with a 10hp briggs on it. The motor was switched out it originally had a 5hp or something and it wasnt enough power or something.. thats what the guy said. We have no problem with the gas let it run the whole time u are salting and engage the clutch from in truck. It is at a constant idle we have the opening where the salt comes out set just right to where an idle speed will spread the right distance and amount.

Pretty nice, but i have never used an electric vbox only tailgates.
  7. Fin

Fin Junior Member

I'm going to try an electric V Box. From what I can tell a lot of people are going in that direction if they don't have the ability to run hydraulic. Everyone I talk to, mf's the gas engines. I think maintenance has a lot to do with the issues they have with gassers. Either way I'm looking for the path of least resistance.
  8. mannlawn

mannlawn Junior Member

I am also looking for SS v-box. Air-flo also has swing away schute. Cheaper than sno-way here.I'll probably go with a gas,cause I don't always empty out. I can't decide honda-300more than briggs ? 8' SS w/briggs 3500.
  9. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Honda, spend the extra 300 its worth it. Better engines all around.
  10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Low center of gravity???? How do you figure that when driving around with the dumpbody up in the air?:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

See post about non-flotaing SS's. We don't do this anymore.

Actually you don't need to ride around with the box up in the air unless it is a large lot. If we lift the bed hihg enough that the salt slides to the back, we can do most of our lots with only one maybe 2 'fillings' or dump box raisings. Gravity will pull quite a bit of salt into the spreader. They work very well. Been using one since 1990.
  12. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

13. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

I like the idea of the Western Tornado being able to be stored on it's end.
  14. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Have used Air Flo stainless for several years without any problems.
    Briggs motors. Very reliable.
    Just make sure you clean and maintain them.
  15. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Do a search or go back and look at past threads. Much as been said about gas v electric and poly v steel or ss.
    I run Western icebreaker steel with a honda engine and just bought the western Tornado.
    Depends on your situation and what bests fits your needs.
  16. Fusion Fab

Fusion Fab Junior Member

I would recommend Ice-o-way. Im a welder-fabricator and by far this unit is rated #1 in overall construction. Honda engine on board and flip o way spinner. Release one clamp and spiner lifts out.Just my two cents.:yow!:
  17. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have a sno-way electric v-box. I love it and will only buy electric from now on. It has the flip up shoot but you have to make your own chain to hold it up. Cost $3 from home depot. I also like Ice-o-way and smith electric. Only problem with those two being price. You should be able to get a SS sno-way for around $2800 cash and carry.