1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-box problems

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MnM, Jan 22, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

just attempted to salt and had problems. I loaded the box with three scoops of salt and even tested the box before i loaded it. well it put three scoops in and drove to the site. when i got there i turned on the box and started the auger. The chain would not spin. It moved maybe one inch ten stopped. I have used this box already this year with three scoops and worked fine. Anyone have any input. Is there to much weight on the chain the box has a inverted v.HELP?????

2. digit

digit Member

I'm not sure how much weight that would be but if I fill mine up then plow first then try to spread salt it doesn't want to start. What I usually do is turn spinner backwards then try it you might have to do this several times. The other problem I had last week it was just so that is was freezing outside had a little bit of salt left in spreader kept it inside then went to plow real cold out side forgot about the extra salt until was ready to spread salt. My luck I try to make a habit of running my spreader a little before I load it. It was froze right were it comes out had to crank spinner by hand a little bit.

3. LON

LON Senior Member

Need a liittle more info. Does the clutch stay engaged and the input shaft turn? If the input shaft still is turning and the conveyor chain is not moving I suspect the bronze gear is stripped :realmad: If the engine stalls out or the clutch slips I would take a look at the front idler gears.
    Lon

4. MnM

MnM Senior Member

the input shaft spins then i go engage the chain drive and the shaft stops and tries t move the chain. It struggles and then wants to stall. the thing that baffles me is that it worked fine before I loaded it and now this. Help?????

5. LON

LON Senior Member

try turning the input shaft w/ a pipe wrench. I've seen the bearings in the gearbox go bad and cause this.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

you can give me a call
    877-260-6562
    Lon

7. MnM

MnM Senior Member

thought the chain was too tight cause it is new, loosened and tryed , alittle better but not much. Then I looked at the nbelt and the 48" belt measures 51". THink this is the problem and I am on my way to the distrubutor to get a new belt, FINGERS ARE CROSSED!!!