1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box or Under the tailgate???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MnM, Feb 17, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

what do you think is more reliable A gas v-box or a under tailgate unit either hydro or electric. I want somehting that will always work. I had some problems with my box this past storm and wanted to know everyones opinion???

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I had a Buyers in my old long bed. It worked flawless.

3. MnM

MnM Senior Member

was it a v box or undertailgate???

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I use a TruckCraft on my 1 ton dump and it is awesome. That thing will throw 10K lbs and hour! Never failed in 3 years and I work it hard. It's available as an electric (mine) or hydraulic. Cleans easy and goes on/off in a snap. Only drawback is the price.:cry:

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

would you reccomend it over the down easter?

6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Dunno; I never owned one. However, most of the ones I've seen have rusted. The TruckCraft is all aluminum.

7. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Salt will eat up aluminum just as fast as steal!!!!!!!!

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

No it won't. Not even close. Steel will rust; even if cleaned regulrly. Aluminum won't. It may discolor,and show a little corrosion, but that's it. Won't even do that if you rinse it off.

9. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

10-4,That discolor is the rot of aluminum. Aluminum rot is a heck of alot harder to repair than steel. Stainless lasts the longest, that is why most spreaders are stainless other than steal. Check out the thread about the Truck Craft controler buring up and the augar motor buring out http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=44349
    Not the first time I have heard of this prob with TC
    Happy Spreading!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Aluminum will corrode just as much as steel and as stated, it's more difficult to repair. It's also lighter and has less strength than steel or stainless steel.

I've only had hydraulic spreaders, but from what others have said, I would stick with an electric over gas. No starts, hard starts, clutches frozen, doesn't sound like fun.

As for which one, it depends on the truck. Under the tailgate models are nice because you still have full use of your dump box, all the time. They can also carry more capacity at a lower center of gravity. V-box are nice because you don't have to raise it to fill it, but you are dedicating that truck to salting for the winter season. They also are more labor intensive to mount and dismount and take up more space when storing.