1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v box or tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shippy140, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Shippy140

Shippy140 Junior Member

hello, i recently bought a f 350 turbo diesel dump. i am going to plow this winter and i am finding out that all the money is in salt spreading. i would like to know what people prefer a v box or a tail gate spreader. i figure i can haul around more salt with a tailgate spreader, but i hear that they chunk up while it snows where as a v box in continiously grinding. i am also nervous that by box in going to rust out with the tailgate spreader. have u heard of anyone that gets the bed sprayed with that rubber bed liner so save the box. and one last ? what is a good rate per ton of salt to get paid. thanks for the help

2. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have a Buyers Tailgate spreader. Besides the motor having to be replaced every year, ( bad design of motor placement) it gets us by. The biggest lot we have takes about 13-16 50lb bags of salt. If you don't mind getting out and refilling it every other job then got with the tailgate one. I'd rather have a v-box myself.

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Upon reading you post again, I just realized that you were talking about an actual tailgate spreader on a dump truck. Sorry

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I guess one good way to go about this would be to weigh up the pros and the cons. One thing you mentioned, was that you were concerned with your bed rusting if you used it with a TG spreader. Well, actually, this is a cleaner way of doing it. You empty the bed with a tailgate spreader. With a V box, you are always going to get spillover when loading. This sits around the sides and front of the spreader and breaks down and gets underneath. While you can still lift and rinse around the V box, you still have much breakdown and residue that you don't get. With just your bed, you are raising and rinsing. Just a thought. Also, with a taligate spreader, installing and uninstalling is completely different. I'm sure there are sveral on here who can point out seceral other +'s and -'s.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My thoughts

I have both of these salters. Tailgate-First of all, your truck can not carry the weight that you will be able to load into your box. You have to constantly put your box up and down because you don't want to drive around with it fully raised. It is easier to load and easier to see with when plowing. As you salt with the box in the up position the spinner gets lower to the ground and the spread pattern becomes much smaller.
    V-box. If you can, get a hydraulic one and make sure it has a screen on top. If you buy a 3 to 3.5 cubic yard one it will be all your truck will handle. If your truck can handle more put boards around the top to increase the pay load.
    This is my first time on plowsite although I have been watching for a couple of weeks.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

One more thing

They make a tailgate salter with 2 augers. This will break-up all the chunks as they take it to the spinner. Swenson also makes a tailgate salter that replaces your tailgate. This allows the spinner to be higher from the ground and makes it easier to lower your box when there is material in it. With the normal tailgate salter sometimes when you raise the box so much salt will slide to the back of the box and also into the salter that it makes it impossible to lower the box. I am thinking about buying a new salter and am leaning towards the v-box but if I buy a tailgate one it will be the tailgate replacement model.