1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box or tail gate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by luky013, Nov 29, 2011.

1. luky013

luky013 Junior Member

I have a ford f-650 dump that I want to put a salt spreader in.I own 2 electric v box spreaders that I have in f-450's, they work great and never had a problem with. I have never used the under tail gate spreaders before, but I dont really like the idea of putting salt directly in the bed of the truck. but the cost of a v box (approx 9k) vs the cost of tail gate (approx $3,500) is substantial. any reccomendations?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know what you mean, I ran a tailgate spreader on our dump bed insert a few years ago and it took it's toll on the bed. I didn't have the luxury of being able to hose it out after every storm and it showed. Our (at that time) 2 season old bed looked like it was 10yrs old. All the paint on the inside was gone and /or big chunks of it were coming off. If you have the ability to hose it off very well after every storm and coat it with some Fluid Film for the price difference of the two spreaders I would go for the tailgate.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I personally prefer v-boxes. We run several of both, In my eyes the pros of the vbox is its easier to control output, the spinner is in the middle of the truck giving a more even spread, being in the back of a truck makes the spinner be up higher, and thus less likely to be backed into a snowback and wrecked, less wear and tear on the box of the truck (we have been switching to flatbeds or chassis mount spreaders anyway).

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

And, better thing with a vbox if you have an idiot plowing in your truck, even when you expalain that you only put the box in the air to load the salter, then put it back down. the truck body will not be up in the air as he goes through the pharmacy drive up and smash the dump body into the overhang. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Soumds like your speaking from experience? Ouch!:realmad:

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have a Swenson UTG Eledtric on a 650. It's a great set up for larger lots, I'd stay away from it on smaller, tigher stuff where it's kind of a hassle. We had to customize a bit, as we don't salt at DPW rates using treated salt. Not a big deal, we added a small rubber flapper to the drop hole, it lets clumps pass but limits the amount of salt that drops from the augers to the spinner. We also addrd a vibrator, worth the time and money......for sure.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What makes you think that?... :confused::laughing:

8. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

V-box and Swenson Spreaders

I love everything about my Western SS V-Hopper with the Honda Engine.The only thing I don't like is being 53 years old and climbing up on the darn thing to pull the canvas tarp back before I fill up and then climbing back up to pull it forward after I am loaded.Usually all this B.S. happenes very late at night or early A.M and there is nobody around at the shop if I fall off the top.Now we do have 2-way radios and I always tell someone when I get out and then back in.
    Last year I purchased a Swenson RTG spreader with the spinner in the middle for another GMC 3500 dump and that is electric and ran perfect.The Swenson RTG electric spreader is the best spreader for big lots that I ever purchased.Zero problems.All my lots have underground utilities so wires are not a problem.The other problem solver is that I don't have to climb up on the spreader to remove any tarp system.Just load and go and then the electric roll tarp does the rest.