1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box or pickup with dump box with tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snowman789, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Hi I am looking to buy another salt truck and was wondering what you guys think is better pros and cons I have a v box now and like it just would like to here if dump box is better and what it's better before I have alot of salting accounts cause I work with older snow removal guys that don't want to deal with the salting so this wouldn't really do much plowing since I do have a few bobcats aswell let me know what you guys think thanks!
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I have no clue what you're asking? Some punctuation, and a clearer idea would help. :help:
  3. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Ya I am pretty poor on correct grammar I'm just a boy dammit! And I'm asking if you prefer a dump box truck with a tailgate spreader or just buy another box spreader and a truck for that purpose and if you could give you reasons why
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I assume you mean under tailgate, not a small tailgate. I prefer v box, so you don't have to have the box raised when salting, and a simple wiring harness for another truck and the swap is pretty easy if you have truck issues. With a dump you can still get the salt out without shovelling if the spreader goes down.[​IMG]
  5. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Depends. Do you do landscaping in the Summer like a lot of guys on here?
  6. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Some dirt work
  7. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply and ya that makes sense it would be a pain driving with box up in some situations
  8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Really? Wow...
  9. Sawboy

Yeah. Really.
  10. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

11. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

This a site where guys ask about plow and salt control info. Not where we ask for a English lesson.
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

13. Sawboy

Edited because Pat said so.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Seems like everyone I talk to who has went from v box to tailgate on a dump loves the dump. Around here we pretty much have to use gas chain v box, so pretty clear advantage of no gas, one less engine to fail, etc on the dump.
  15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

v box on a dump...us dump hyd to operate it
  16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

IMO you'll want the box on the truck to be quite high to run a tailgate spreader. You would be better having a tailgate replacement rather then an under tailgate model. Electric over hydraulic for raising the bed is slow so clutch pump or PTO is also a better option.
    We had an under tailgate on our 99 and our dislikes were, pivot point on the bed wasn't right at the back of box so as the box went up the back got lower to the ground, single auger so it wouldn't spread pickle well at all, box was electric over hydraulic so the up and down was slow, when getting to the end of material if to much slid to the back the box wouldn't go down. the pro's were carry more material, lower center of gravity and we could use the truck to haul if needed.

My first choice would be a V box.