1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box or Dump Insert for Salting?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnprolawns, Jul 12, 2009.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Looking to get either a 2 yard V-box or a dump insert for salting this winter. What works the best and what do you guys prefer?

Though the insert is much more $$, I'm leaning towards it because it's useful in summer too. But, if it's not going to spread salt well, I'll get a V.

Let er rip! Opinions please!

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Are you meaning an end dump tailgate spreader? If so I'd go with a V Box, they are much more consistent at spreading and you don't have to drive around with your box in the air slamming on the brakes trying to get the wet salt to flow into your auger. JMO

3. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

That's kind of what I was thinking. It seems like salt would get stuck in the dump and not have a good, consistent flow into the spreader.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's my problem with them.

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

That's good to know, as I am exploring that same option.

Bossman

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

V-box. Consistant spreading and fewer issues.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

maybe you guys are running hydro vboxes? I have had way more problems with my vboxes, then my undertailgate, and my UT is about 20 years older then my vboxes.

I like the insert because it holds the wieght lower, but its allot more pricey. if you go with a snow way vbox you can take the chute off and use it to haul mulch in.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm talking hydro V Boxes, I don't like gas motors either. I've never had an electric one but am thinking of buying one for backup to just throw in a truck if needed.

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hydro and gas here. Gassers are PITA sometimes, but still better IMO then undertailgate for faster work and consistant work.