1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box on flatbed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 19, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I have an 86 F-250 with the 8' bed. I am looking at removing the bed, it has a plastic liner and underneath it's pretty beat up. I was thinking of possibly removing the bed and creating some sort of flatbed. I have not decided how to construct the bed, that is another project. How about mounting a V-Box on a flatbed...am I better off removing the bed and creating something or just staying with what I have? I imagine I would have to remove the plastic liner in order to do the install? Overall the bed is in good condition, execpt for under the liner...it's dented to hell. Its previous life was moving rock for a landscaper.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

PS anyone know where to get ideas for a flatbed project?

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have and seen many F 250 with flat beds.truck craft and a few other companies make them,tenco makes a 3 yard dump for the f 250.yes mine is a srw works okay has a dump hoist under it you can also make that truck drw.seen those around.some SH***** chevys with them to.if the pickup bed is in good shape and you don`t have a leaf box or a need to put 4 pallets of sod in the back of that thing i would leave it be

3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

My main problem is that the bottom frame of the bed that mounts to the frame of the truck is rusted out and I have a mount that I cant put a bolt into. There are pre-made flatbeds out there...what about the ones with sides...ie a tailgate spreader type. Those are hydraulic right...so that means I need a pump then? I cant afford the expense of a new truck so I elect to make this one a project.....much cheaper.

4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thats why i did it they are a little high in price mine is a flat with wood sides and i have metal rack sides that was around 8000 all steel deck with a hoist similar to a rugby 3 yard dump.the hoist is made by venco.that was about 3 change.now the 3 yard dump by tenco which i bought for my f350 drw also fits f250s it has the sander built into it.12300 for that model plus if you plain on getting something like that i would look into getting a drw setup.
    i`ve herd they make kits to take a 350 rear and slap it on a 250 frame.i think it is just some kind of bracket that goes on there and a few leaf springs added in.old friend of mine did it and he put a 3 yard rugby dump on it looks just like a regular 350 with a dump.but once u look at the frame you can see its a 250 not as meatie as a 350 frame

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the box rails are rotted out,then I would scrap the box,as it isn't good for carrying much weight.If your going with a v-box,you don't even really need a flatbed,it can be mounted directly to the frame rails,only thing you'll need would be to add some basic fenders.That would be the easiest and the cheapest way.If you want a deck for summer use when the v-box is off,have someone local fab up a steel frame with a wooden deck you can bolt on when the v-box is off.

If you go with a dump and tailgate salter you will need a hoist as well as a pump to run it.You can just add an electric power unit to run the dump,but you'll probably need something engine or pto driven for the tailgate salter,so better to go that route.

If the bed is really in good shape,except for the floor and rails,maybe look at replacing just those.A good fabricator could make up a good frame and floor to support a v-box or whatever else you want to carry,and weld it into the existing box.

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have a chevy 2500 that i put a flatbed on. we used someboards treated 2x4s and some cut down boards to raise the front and back part of the frame up so that it is all strait. and then got a new flatbed from auction for five hundred bucks works great!!!

7. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Get a new truck! Or at least a "newer" used one. An 86 is almost twenty years old! All that rust and you want to haul about three tons of salt on it and a plow. Come on, a safety nightmare!

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would bet the frame is not bad. When you get that bed off sandblast or at least clean the frame up and spray it with some paint.

I would not hesitate to continue with your plan.

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

mine is a 76' chevy and i put a 9' flatbed a sander a plow and 5,000 pounds of salt every storm on it

10. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Thats like telling someone with an old Mustang to get rid of it because it is over 30 years old. If you own a Ch*** then yes by all means get rid of it, it wasnt good the first day it was built!! I like the idea of removing the box and placing the spreader directly to the frame, all I will need is something between the frame and box. The detachable flatbed is a great idea too! It is good to see that there are people out there who understand the value of a good ole Ford!

11. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

that ford is not old just getting broken in.my father had a 1974 pickup now i think thats old.it looked old all rotted out floor bords to

12. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

For me I would much rather spend $300 here or there and get a bunch of things taken care of every other month or so. Rather than have to spend over 400 a month for a payment, praying for snow to help me with my payments. By the time I am done (about a yr and a half) I should have a completely redone truck, for waaaaaaaayyyyyy less money!

13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

New truck w/ warranty instead of nickle and diming yourself to death. That's all I'm sayin.

14. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Nickle and dime yes...but those pennies I save make all the difference. You pay double the insurance than I do. You have a monthly payment wheras I have a dedicated work truck and a payment on toy :) In the end the truck moves snow as well as yours...with less expense each operating mile. Therefore I have to work less to make the same amount of profit you would. Still more dollars in the pocket to spend on toy or save for a new paid off truck.

15. 3dbbok

3dbbok Junior Member
    from IL

Gotta agree that old doesn't mean undependable. We run a '84 Chevy 1 ton with a stainless v mounted to the rails with an inverted v under the chain to divert salt from the drivetrain. Now when she's ready to retire, ( @ 5 yrs.), the 454 and turbo 400 will go into a new (84), or so chassis.

See what you get five years from now out of a 2003 truck that's been salting and the economics are scary. New is great when warranted, but for a salt chassis?

David

Don't forget Timbren airless bags or the F-250 will be a hanfull when loaded.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2002
  16. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I was just having a conversation today stating that I cannot understand (with a few exceptions) why someone would take a $35,000+ vehicle and salt with it. I have seen some BEAUTIFUL salt trucks, but man I just couldn't do it.

17. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We use a 1988 Dodge W-250. Took the bed off, welded on some steel frame work, added fenders, and bolted our 8' Monroe spreader on it. Been going strong for about 5 years. The nice thing about the open frame is that the spilled salt just falls on the ground instead of building up on the bed. I agree about not using a new or even a used newer truck for salting. It eats them up. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow if I can figure out how to post one.

18. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

This is our truck, sorry about the quality, when I resize it to fit the 103kb rule here it loses all detail.

salttruck1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2002