1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box mounting question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Who raises their v box off the floor of their truck? Last year we ran it in a truck with a dump bed insert and it was hard to clean out the accumulation at the of the box near the cab but it didn't seem to effect how it worked. This year its going on our flat bed truck so it will be easy to clean out. Iv'e heard guys saying to rise it off the bed with 4x4's and other's who said just put it on the bed and go.

2. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I use a piece of 3/4in plywood on the floor of my pickup truck

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I put one inch high boards at four places under mine this year hoping I will be able to spray out underneath and around the spreader, we will see if the ploy works.

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

They sit right on the beds of the trucks.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Have the pickup bed line-x'd and just clean it out in the spring. ;) My spreader mounted on the F550 is mounted right to the frame with a sheet of 16 gauge stainless underneath it. Thumbs Up

6. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I just pull them off every now and then with the skid steer. Power wash and put back. Not that difficult 4 ratchet straps and 2 electirc plugs

7. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

i myself lay mine on the bed of my flatbed stakebody but i know brickman always mounts theires to 2 4' 4x4's to make cleaning easier, and yes it helps

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My bed caved in about 3" last year from where the boards were mounted..........another month and the spreader would have been touching the bed. This year I removed the 4x4's and used an old cutting edge cut down. I figure this way it has some more surface to mount to like a 4x4, but not nearly as elevated. It's basically on the bed, and will be after a few loads......but I think it will help save the bed in comparison. I guess a pickup bed just isn't designed to hold 7-8k lbs LOL.

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

as long as your bed is rhino lined you should be fine. we put a piece of 3/4" ply underneath to help spread the weight of the "feet" of the spreader. besides ours has an auger so theres no spill up front, unless the loader op doesnt know what hes doing.

10. stewartsrepair

stewartsrepair Junior Member

I placed my spreader on 4x4s it realy helped to clean out by the cab of my picup.
    4x4s are cheep new beds are not the easyer to clean the more it will get done

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I have mine on 2x4's going length wise in the bed, It makes it easier to wash under the spreader.

12. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

I'm picking up my first spreader today and after reading this thread I was just going to put in on my Line-x lined bed. Then I remembered I have a fifth-wheel hitch mount in the bed that sits up about 1 1/2" and the spreader would sit on that in the middle of the bed and have no support front and back. So I'm going with 4 2x4's going width-wise across the bed.