1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Maintenance

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Doug Montanari, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

Looking for some maintenance tips for v-box spreader maintenance on the chain I have a curtis sperader that is 5 yrs old and keep the inside sprayed down with penatrating oil just wondering what everyone else is using to keep there v-boxes in good shape.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Salt-a-Way and Fluid Film

3. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

Lots of washing after use, and trans fluid/deisel fuel combination. And whatever seems to be in the waste oil pail sometimes gets tossed in too, between uses.

4. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

Lubraseal from Rhomar Industries

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Yup Used oil works great, we do that over the summer.

If your able to lift it up when weather turns good for a while, I would do that and wash it out from top and bottom, generally V-box get build up between the truck box and the bottom of the chain. Thats why alot of people put them on 2x4s to lift them up for easier on truck cleaning.

6. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

After each event, dump used oil on the conveyor and run it for a few minutes (just don't stand in front of the spinner with your school pants on). Grease all fittings, check chains and lube them, lube the actuator (what controls the throttle and choke). Check air filter, check oil.......this all after you ****** it with the pressure washer.

And most importantly, check your tie downs.

7. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

Andy I see you have a bobcat listed in your equipment do you use this for snow removal if so are you using a plow blade or a box plow?

8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Actually Doug, we use a large capacity bucket (smooth edge) for driveways in a condo association. Haven't invested in a box yet, because quite frankly, I can't justify it with the weather we've had the past two years.

9. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

Andy thanks Thats what I'm up against right know also I want to buy a plow for my skid loader or a box plow but this winter has me rethinking those thoughts there is a good posting of someone who made one for their machine so I may go that way to try and save a few dollars.

10. FGLMOW

FGLMOW Junior Member

50/50 mix of kerosone and motor oil,old or new in a pump sprayer. Works great.We went from tailgate spreaders to v-box.