1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V BOX INSTALL

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doug406, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 Member

What are some of the most creative, stable, ease of install and uninstall that any of you have came up with for v box salters in regular 1 ton pickup beds. Does anyone take it out after each storm to clean? Should I bolt it to the frame through the bed?

2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

We just use small binders, I wouldn't bolt it down because you really should be taking it out after every use or at least every other,and washing after every use.

3. Doug406

Doug406 Member

Well my concern for bolting it down(like the instructions say) is because it will also be a well used plow truck, and I plow with extreme productive results- you know -hard and with a little bit of speed, so some of the snowbanks stop me fast, should this concern be much.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We use 2" ratchet binders. They are rated for 10k pounds, and I have never had a problem with them getting loose. If they stretch, just give it another pull on the binder, and it is tight again.
    Dino

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well if you have it in a dump body i would weld on a round steel stock on both sides of it mayby have to weld an angle line across. and use the dump gate hooks to hold it down then just strap the front and you will have no problems.

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I think he has it in a pick up. I will say go with the binders.

Geoff

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Boy did I miss read that thread >thanks for telling me

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I use a bobcat to load and unload my sander. Another good way is to have a welder make a swing set design, where you can back the truck up under the swing set, do not use a regular swing set, will not hold the weight of the sander. Hook a chain hoist to pick the sander up and down. Hope this helps.

9. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Guys -

Is there a problem with pressure washing it while it stays on the truck? Why take it out before spring?

10. plowking35

from SE CT

When washing a spreader, volume of water is what is needed, not pressure. We use city water through a 1" garden hose. We like to wash off the trucks, cause you can then get the channel under the spreader that the chain rides in. We back uner the rack, and then use the ratchet straps to lift the spreader off the truck. Then we just drop it back down, and we are all set. With magic this year, we hope to reduce the amount of washing needed.
    Dino

11. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Dino -

How long does it take you to do that?

12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Dino, if you want a really great washdown rig try a booster pump. I've got one that makes 150 PSI on top of your city pressure, so maybe 185-190, and 7 gallons a minute. That thing works great. I'm halfways tempted to rig it to a hot water tank, turn the control up a bit over normal settings and have really HOT water to work with.

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Alan,do you have any more info on the booster pump?Where do you get them?how much?is it 110V.Thanks

14. plowking35

from SE CT

It takes us about 1 hour per truck, but that includes washing the truck itself. If it was just the spreader, its about an 1/2 hr. I do like the hot water idea, and I do have that at my dada house, but not the pressure or the rack. If its very cold we wait, most times we wait till the at least temps are in the 40's
    Dino

15. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

John, the booster pump is widely used in the dairy industry for washing down milking parlors and barns. Yes, 110 volt, and they are available in a lot of delivery pressure/flow rates. I got this one from Graingers, bought it from one of their online auctions of overstocks and discontinued items. If you're in farm country a farm supply house should know what you're talking about. If you have a Grainger catalog they are listed under Pumps, Pressure Booster. Grainger also has a hose rated for 150 PSI, which seems ot be able to stand the pressure.

16. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Just a note.

http://www.grainger.com

Their catalog is about 3,600 pages. Over 4,000 with the index. There's a Grainger up the road from me, in Clifton. Great prices too. I order online, then go pick it up. I might add they won't sell to the public. You need to pay with a company check, at least the first time. Then you can pay however you want after that. If anyone here hasn't heard of them, then you better check them out, because they literally have TONS of stuff, and great prices.

~Chuck

17. Scotty

Scotty Junior Member

Whatever you do, make sure you bolt and strap it to the truck. We rest the spreader on three 2x4 and bolt right threw them. This make it easy to wash under the spreader. The reason I recommend bolting to the truck, about 4 years ago our spreader was NOT bolted down, it was straped to truck on a plastic bed liner with about 1 ton of salt. Bed liners our very slippery, somehow the spreader started to move around on the liner and with the weight of the salt, it ripped the hooks right out of the floor of the truck and the spreader landed completely on the road. The controls were sitting on the seat and they went through the rear window and the spinner and the shute were slightly bent. Other than that, and having to shovel out a ton of salt, the spreader still worked.

[Edited by Scotty on 10-30-2000 at 05:24 AM]

18. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Thank you for the info Alan,ill be buying one fo them this week,it sounds like it would work great to clean off my mower too.

19. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

John, cleaning under the decks was the main reason I bought my pump. If you can get the deck up so you can get under there with the nozzle, once you get a spot washed off you can just peel the gunk off the rest of the deck.