1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v box in f 250

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Enviouslawns, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

I have a 2000 f-250 and next year i wanna get a v box spreader for it. but my question is do i need to put different shocks in the rear because now when i pick up 2450 pounds my truck sinks like crazy then pluss the 800lbs from the v box would be to much weight wouldnt it??????
    any inut would be great.
  2. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Depends on the specs & setup of your particular truck. Generally speaking, shocks don't have much if any effect on load capacity, the leaf springs take that job. You could add Timbrens, Airbags or helper springs to keep it from sagging too much, but don't exceed the weight limits of your truck. If you are dead set on putting a spreader in that truck, maybe you should consider one of the poly units that area available. It would save you a bit on the weight issue.
  3. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

Ya i think im definately gonna go plastic. im leaning towards a snow ex. i have the snow ex 1075 now i really like there stuff.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I think timbrens would help keep the truck level. I have them on the front and I am going to put them on the rear this spring. Poly is the way I am going to go next year. you save yourself close to 400#s usually going with poly. I might buy one at the end of this season. I have been seeing some real good deals already popping up online for v box salters...
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Add a couple of leaf springs in the rear. Just remember you still have to stop that truck when it is loaded.
  6. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

Add firestone riderite system to your truck, thats what I am runnin on mine. It is available through truckspring.com which is a sponser on here. the kit is only 269.95. I would go with the snow ex 8000 or 8500 as we are runnin these and have had excellent luck with them. good luck with however you choose todoit but in my opinion this is an excellent setup especially if you go with the on board air compressor for just a little more, and you cant go wrong with either of those spreaders, Aaron
  7. alleghenypaving

alleghenypaving Member

i agree with cet, i had a 250 added some leaf springs and the truck would haul really good.keep in mind by adding extra springs,your ride gets harder.( old saying this thihg rides like a truck ) is true when you beef up the springs.
  8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If you buy a 8 ft unit you will be hauling more than 2450. Two yards of salt weigh close to 5000 lbs plus the salter. You can never seem to get enough on.
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I saw a guy around here that had his Chevy 2500 with an 8' vbox spreader in it, and man, his rear bumper was pretty much hitting the ground. Just from seeing that, I don't know if a vbox of that size in an F-250 is a good idea. I know, after seeing that, that I wouldn't want to do that to one of my trucks. It'd be too much wear and tear for my taste. But then again, if your making enough to buy a new truck every few years, why not?