1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box in dovetail

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnangel1, Jan 9, 2010.

1. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

I have 6 trucks right now. All run plows and tailgate spreaders. I am looking to upgrade and buy a few v boxes. One of the trucks is a lawn truck that has a dovetail that is not removable. Is there to put a v box in a truck with a dovetail? How? Pics? Advice?

2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I'd think you could pretty easily fab up a small, simple support frame to hold up the rear. I'd use 1.5X1.5 steel square tube, bolt it to the truck and bolt the spreader to it. Some sort of triangle. Have pics of the truck?

3. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

I dont have any pics off hand. Its just a standard lawn truck body on a chevy 3500.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yep! You need a support of some kind. Salt is like 50lbs+ per sqft, way to much weight on air.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

sq/ft? LOL

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where can I see a pic of one of these bodies? Never heard of it before.

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree a steel tube frame welded to form a triangle, then bolt to both spreader and truck should do it. BUT how long is the body, specifically the portion behind the rear wheels, may affect handling while driving if it's a long, plus all the stress on the body and frame.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

This is what i think he has..(see below) usually i see ALOT of these on isuzu trucks

78974724.jpg

9. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

True, but he said on a 3500 chassis, I'm especially interested in that. I have a 2500 I'd like to convert to a light-duty mower hauler, I already have a ramp on an old F150 and I modified the wheel wells on the truck so I can fit my 52" rider in the bed. Great setup, cheap and efficient!