1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box in a dump insert

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rpainetfd, Mar 29, 2010.

1. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Has anyone done the measuring, will it fit? Or is the dump insert too narrow? :confused:
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

A Tornado will fit, and some V-box's will, I have no clue which ones though.

Why? There are a few different options out there to make your Dump Insert work well as a salter.
  3. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Sort of putting the cart before the horse, bought a brand new Fisher Poly this year, now looking at either swapping out my bed for a dump body, or getting a dump insert. Have seen some good deals on inserts. Looking to make the best use out of my truck for the smallest investment. I have an F350 and only use it for snow and salt operations, doesnt do much in the summer.
  4. Pristine PM ltd

I am a big fan of dump inserts, and you can get a good deal on one if you wait for the right deal. Keep an eye out for a deal on the salter though, it would at least be a good cheap backup.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Pristine is the expert on dump beds but personally I would just take the dump bed out and go with the V Box or go with an under tailgate salter.
  6. Pristine PM ltd

I agree, it does seem silly to have both, did you think it would make any sense to sell the poly?
  7. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

I was sort of thinking of finding a dump insert, using the poly for another winter if it fit, and then purchasing an under gate spreader. Then I could either sell the poly or have a cheap back up. You guys have good info, thanks.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

That makes NO sence. By the time you put the dump insert and v-box in the back you will be able to put about 500lbs of salt in the v-box:dizzy:
  9. Pristine PM ltd

Didn't even think of that, but most dump inserts are not that heavy. Steel, Aluminum, or Stainless?
  10. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

That is why I throw things out there for my buddies to help me logic through. Didnt think of the extra weight either. Stainless dump insert and poly spreader, but still, dont have alot of weight to play with on a SRW truck. You guys are always thinking. :salute:
  11. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Plus the vbox on top of the insert will raise the center of gravity and put a lot of extra strain on your truck.
  12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Good call on the extra payload with the insert and the spreader combined. I have the aluminum truckcraft and it weighs 400lbs and the steel one weighs 600. So I would just go with the insert and get the tailgate spreader like pristine and I have. Plus you dont lose any visibility with the dump insert as with the v box you lose it all. Plus you can use it year aroun. good luck on your decision.