1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box in a 3/4 ton?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jbone, Mar 22, 2006.

1. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Im not sure if this question has been answered before or not. Im new to the business and plan on getting a chevy 3/4 ton pickup long bed. I was wondering if they are capable of handling a full size V-Box spreader? I really dont wanna go with a 1 ton as this truck will be my dd in the off season.

Also how much do V-box spreaders go for used? I looked at a couple while I was looking at plows. I checked out Fisher, wester, boss, etc. but they dont offer any prices and I cant find any online. I know they vary Im just looking for a ball park price.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

look on ebay under salt spreader. also yes you can stick a full size vbox in a 3/4 ton. hold about a yard of salt
  3. jbone

jbone Senior Member

thanks I looked recently on ebay and found nothing but Ill look again
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a 2500 or 250 will hold a full size as long as it is not fully loaded. i'm going with the last reply maybe 1 yard. used carbon steel spreaders i decent shape go for $1500. if you are going to use a 2500 you could use a pint size spreader like a 6 foot or something.
  5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Do you really need a V box? Do you have a way to load it? I've been plowing for a long time and have use a Pro Flo 2. It holds about 1000lbs with no problem. It will also spread wet bulk salt and sand If I need It. Next year I going to a spreader for a dump insert. I've got the insert now just need the spreader. Going to get a Downeaster spreader.

If I were you I would get accounts before making the decision on getting the V Box. A tailgate spreader might due you just fine.
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

Why don't you want to get a 1 ton? They are the same size as the 3/4 tons (the SRW's) , just can handle more weight.
  7. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Well I dont really know how 1 tons are setup. All of the ones I've seen are dually's with dump/utility bodies on them, and they were all regular cabs. Im not sure if I mentioned above this truck will also be my daily driver in the off season, and I dont know how comfortable I would be driving a 1 ton dump truck every day. Storage inside the truck also becomes an issue. Again I may be wrong about the 1 ton.

I definitely plan on securing accounts before I do anything Im jsut trying to work out all of my options so I know what to do if I decide I need a V-Box. About what time of the year do you guys try to secure contracts with new customers?

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

We are selling out 8' 1.9 cuyd Airflow SS V box spreader. 2 years old, still in great shape! 8HP gas. $2000.00 firm. we need to upsize to something larger. It is in Stroudsburg Pa, kcapxis@ptd.net
  9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

If you are looking at chevys, they are definatly the softest riding 1 ton pickup on the market. I don't know if you can get a 1 ton that isn't a dually nowadays. I drive 9200 GVW 3/4 ton (heavy duty 3/4 tons) chevys for work. They have a really nice ride for that heavy of a pickup. When you have that ride, you sacrafice load hauling capacity because of the long springs. I wouldn't be afraid of a 1 ton chevy for the ride though. I don't think that I would drive a dodge or ford 1 ton for a daily driver i was concerned about ride though. I would try the chevy with the v box, if you have problems with overloading it, put a set of air bags or timbrens on it.
  10. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

even if you get a 3/4 ton the ride is hampered dramaticly not good for long road trips but when you load them down the ride realy isn't that bad. so for road trips wheeling or hunting its great oh yea camping to.
  11. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

We use 3/4 tons frequently with V-box sanders, but you need to add overload springs and either 10 or 12 ply tires. If you do that you'll be fine. I've got pic's of a buddies 3/4 ton set like i described above with almost 3 tons of sand in it and it did fine.
  12. jbone

jbone Senior Member

ok I know this is probably a long shot but what about a half ton?? ive got a 94 chevy k2500, it has the hd springs out of a 2500hd, and a 14bolt ff rear axle that was recently rebuilt. I was also looking into getting timbrens for the rear, as Im sure they will help sagging when I tow anyhow. I am also getting bilstein hd shocks all around (need new ones). My original plans w/ the 3/4 ton arent going to happen. If its too much thats fine I dont absolutely need a v-box I can get a small tailgate spreader I just figured id go with something im not going to outgrow when the day comes I do get a 3/4 ton. Thanks again.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You might look for a small ice a way or snoway V box. They both make a 1 yard unit that works well in 1/2 tons, although i suggest loading straight salt not sand in a 1/2 ton truck.
  14. jbone

jbone Senior Member

thanks ill look into those!
  15. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

A K2500 is a 3/4 ton truck not a half
  16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

ive seen a guy around here with a fully loaded 8ft V-box in the back of a stock chevy 1500.....however, the spinner was pretty much hitting the ground and the fenders were riding on the tires!!! scary!