1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box for short-beds...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jun 4, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know why no one makes a v-box spreader for short-bed pickups? It makes sense to me to have a spreader (besides a tailgate spreader) available for shorter wheelbase trucks, and even for long-bed trucks if the driver wants to keep his tool-box in the bed too. Am I the only one who has thought of this? No, I'm not getting rid of my Pro Flo 2, I'm just ranting a little.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Tim - I'm definitely no expert in this area, but I believe one factor is that to the best of my knowledge, any pickup with a high enough GVW to carry a loaded V-box is only available with the 8' bed.

Good point regarding the toolbox though! I took a look at a list of "model specs" from Coastal Metal Fab (DownEaster spreaders) that came with the SIMA binder and they do list a 6.5 ft unit, capacity 1.6 yd, length shown as 78". Weight for mild steel 910#, stainless 760#
  3. SlimJim Z71

I can understand the weight issue, but shorter v-box = less weight. Plus, what about short-bed 3/4-ton trucks (most of which are extended cabs though...)???

I would think they'd sell quite a few of them. Just my $0.02 though.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I know sno-way,and western make 7 ft spreaders,and i have an older bradford,I know they made 5 and 6 ft spreaders too.There are alot of trucks on the market that have a short bed and can handle a 1-1.5 yd 6-7 ft V-box.Ford SD from 99 on-F250/F350 excab short box,GM K2500 96-current excab shortbed,GM 99-00 3500 dually crewcab shortbox.Dodge ram 2500 4x4 excab/SWB95-current.all have at least 8600 GVWR and can handle the smaller V-box without trouble.A shortbed/excab 3/4 ton truck weighs about 200 lbs more than a reg cab long box,(all options equal)so the weight isnt much different,but all 200 lbs,and then some are on the front end of the truck.exacbs add about 400 lbs,shortbeds save about 200lbs over 8ft box.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2001
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Short vee box

Sno-Way is marketing a short, on the order of 5', vee box. Their literature shows it in the back of an S-10, a late model S-10, in fact. Seems like it woud do really well in either a short bed or long cab/short bed, full size truck.
  6. mlc

mlc Junior Member

Hi Tim. I have a 5' long Henderson sander which holds 1.1 yards. Even though my truck has a 8' bed, I like it because I don't have to remove my tool box and I still have room for shovels and such. I believe their website is www.henderson-mfg.com

BTW how did you make out with starting your sweeping business? Steve.
  7. SlimJim Z71

Sweeping is pretty slow right now. With only the broom on my truck, it's kind of hard to get where I want to be. I'm going to write a business plan, and go for some financing to get a vacuum sweeper and maybe another plow truck or two so I can get into this business full time.