1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Extensions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Has anyone used the manufacturers v-box extensions? Or do you make you're own? I have a couple of 4.5 yards spreaders and the trucks that they are on can handle the extra weight. I believe 12" extensions will add about 2 yards. Seems like a great way to go.

2. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Either way, they work well. Even if your not carrying more salt, the ability to get the same amount of buckets without having to push it around, is worth it. The situation where you need to load that extra bucket is a time saver/money maker and you'll be glad you did it. Just don't over-load it and strain the drag chain

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

That shouldn't be a problem, there is an inverted "V" over the drag chain to keep the majority of the weight off.

4. komplete

komplete Junior Member

We usually use Treated 2x12 (or whatever height you are looking for) on ours. Put a piece of angle inside each corner of your extension boards for strength and a few pieces of 3/8"x3"wide flat stock steel on the sides and you are set. We haven't had an issue yet with this set up. Usually costs less than $100 also

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got one of my 4.5 yard Swenson's done. Cost about $80 and took a couple hours to do. I used 2x12's. Well worth it!!! Going to do the 2 yard today.