1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box extension?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MnM, Mar 6, 2006.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

anyone ever make a extension for their v-box. I read somewhere that a 12" extension would increase a 1.8 cu yard to 3.0 cu yard. Anyone ever do this and do you have any pics???

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A 12" extention would only increase capacity of an eight foot Vbox by 32 cubic feet (4'x8'x1') or 1/4 yard.

3. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I thought a yard was 27 cubic feet

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

make sure your truck can handle the extra weight and theyre a good thing but it also must be secure becuase of the increased weight

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're right, of course. I was thinking about a cord (of wood) being 128 cu ft. That's what I get for dealing with two different things on the same day.

Actually more than that. But that's for another thread.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

cheater boards

I put 22 inch extensions on a highway super p 10 ft. The problems I had was not much but the shear pin would shear. I had an inverted V in the spreader also. The pressure on the drag chain was a lot more with all the salt above the chain. The truck was large enough to handle the extra weight.

I mounted the grate on the extensions. I got a new spreader and will not put on as large of an extension this time.

Dave

7. MnM

MnM Senior Member

Since I have a 8 ft box, how high should I go. The truck will handle it thanks.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I put 2x6 extensions on my 8' V box. It will hold 4500lbs of straight salt. The salter weights another 800lbs. I have this on a 2003 3500 gas GMC. The GVW is 11,400lbs and we come out of the scales within 200lbs of that and usually on the high side. The truck has a flat deck on the back that is 9' long and it has no sides so it isn't that heavy.

9. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

I put 2x12 extensions on my 6' v-box. Couldn't afford an 8 footer at the time and with the 12" extensions I almost doubled my capacity. I drilled holes through the lip on the spreader and used 3" stainless steel lag bolts. Used 8 bolts on the 6' side and 5 bolts on the short side and two angle brackets in each corner, unit is very solid. Salter can easily handle 2500+ pounds of material. Usually don't fill it all the way, but it's nice to have the extra capacity when you need it. I have some pictures posted on another thread titled "my money maker'.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Here are the extensions on my v-box.

[​IMG]

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

just saw the thread is 4 years old. He probley doesn't even have the same spreader anymore.

12. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2' extensions on my 7500 snowex, raises the capacity from 1.4 to 2.8

13. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i have been worried about trying this but sounds like this might be the year for it.

14. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

i also planned on adding 24" extensions to my 10' BOSS salter. I never thought about the shear pin however....... maybe i will have to make that inverted V bigger to keep the weight off the chain. Right now it only runs the length of 8' so maybe i will run the full 10' and make it wider so the salt only has a 4" gap on both sides to meter through.

Only one way to find out........

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

here are my sides, 2x12's with 2x4's in the corner with a lot of deck plate screws, and 1 screw in each corner of the v-box, the wood sides sit on the lip on the inside of the v-box, no problems yet from the extra weight, had a custom truckers canvas made to keep things dry

008.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010