1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box electric spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AJMSnowremoval, Nov 3, 2010.

1. AJMSnowremoval

AJMSnowremoval Junior Member

Hey anyone have any thoughts on electric v box spreaders. Pros, Cons, comments? thanks
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I love electric V boxes, at a previous job we used Downeaster single motor units and NEVER had a single problem, at the current job we just picked up a Smith stainless, for a steal at $2500......With a mid 80s Chevy dually under it, anyone want a used, mid 80's Chevy dually. We only want the salter, but the guy wouldn't seperate.
  3. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I have 2 new Tornado's and thats all i'll buy.(unless i'm going 10', then i'd buy the stainless steel icebreaker). It only took me one winter to get hooked on poly, last year being my first winter with an electric v-box. I was 100% anti-poly before i decided "**** it", whats the worst that could happen? I buy it, its a pos, and i sell it after winter...that was definately not the case. It wasn't even a year that i owned my 1.5 and i went out and had a 2.5 installed in another truck. I would recommend the Tornado to anyone looking for... IMO, the best poly/electric V-box on the market.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Mid 80's Chevy Dually For Sale, GREAT DEAL! $3500 takes it! :laughing::laughing:
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i own a Smith dual electric and will be buying another shortly. i also have the western tornado and its a good spreader but i like the smith better because you can put boards on the sides to increase it to 3 cu yds for about $40.00. i also like the fact that the motors are never in the salt and the chute can flip up to haul a trailer. the spinner is direct drive so no belt or chain to worry about. Way cheaper that a tornado or snow ex too !!!
  6. AJMSnowremoval

AJMSnowremoval Junior Member

Thanks a bunch guys. I will def be looking into getting one. My only other concern is how the truck battries hold up? Is there a lot of stress on them? I have a 05 2500 chevy. It has dual batteries but it seems as if by the end of a 50" winter between the plow and all the lights and the heater. The batteris have taken a beating.
  7. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

My pickup has a single battery with a ProPlus, Tornado 1.5, 55w 8000k HID's, 4" work lights, 7" in-dash touch screen, plus wipers on, heat on, etc. and my battery has been fine. The only thing i did was upgrade to a new motorcraft battery with 850 cold cranking amps vs the 650 that the truck had stock...no issues ever. My 09 F-550 is diesel with 2 batteries but i only have my 9' ProPlus and my 2.5 Tornado hooked up so theres definately no power issues on this one. Trust me, look into the new Tornado, well worth the extra money and IMO, built better than most other spreaders.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i'm running my smith off a dodge v-10 with one battery...no problems and it works its ass off. i would think even after 50" of snow the price of a couple batteries would be worth it. good luck this year whatever you do !!!
  9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Electric for sure

We run five snowex electric spreaders and have for six years, No problems with the spreaders and no problem on the truck battery.
  10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering all the same things when I bought the Airflo. But It's been great no battery problems at all. I did add another battery though.It's nice not to gas up all the time or play with the pony motor.It doesn't have the power of the gas sander but it does the job.
  11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I run 2 Snoway stainless 8 ft. electric Vboxes. Very few problems and only one motor equals less parts. The flip up chute is nice. Not very powerful but they get the job done and are very reliable. I had a gas Snoway and I will never buy another. The little chain from the gearbox will need to replaced annually becaise it is exposed but for 15 bucks so what. I did have a motor go out and it cost me north of 400 for a new one. Nothing is better than flipping that switch and hearing her hum and you know she is flinging salt. I think they are around 5,000.00 for a new one.
  12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Pull that little chain and the conveyor chain every year and oil bath them for the off season( put in a container, cover with waste oil, or new if you like) and they'll last for years.........It's time, but a conveyor chain is $750 and up, and those small chains ain't cheap either. Once you've done a couple, removal of a working conveyor chain(depending upon the chute) can be an hour project, installation a little more.
  13. snowtech

snowtech Member

we have single batteries in our 3/4 ton trucks with electric v box spreaders (snow ex and salt dogg) we run optima batts and have not had a problem. but get ready after 2-3 years cuz when those batts start getting bad they go real bad real fast.
  14. vector330ix

vector330ix Junior Member
    from nh

we have a few of these Sno-way electric 6'. they really only have like a 30amp draw on the motor so its less then you'll get from your electric plow. your truck wont notice the diffrence really. but they cant break through the rust on the chain in the fall like a gas can. but like was said just keep them oiled in the summer. i keep mine in the garage all summer so it never see's weather unless its snowing. the chains still freeze up. the worst is the little #40 chain on the spinner. but they are cheep. $15 or so. just need to remove a link and can put it back in place.. no need to remove anything if you do it right.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ordering a Buyers spreader this week. Stainless, dual electric motors. Can't wait to get it.
  16. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Please take some pictures I am thinking of ordering one asap.
  17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

My drivers fight over the electric spreaders. A PIA with gas and more moveable parts to fail. As long as your charging system is up to par you will not have any issues. All I've done was increased the wire gauge from the alternator to the battery. If you are interested in a Smith go to their web site: http://www.smithspreaders.com/Spreaders/index.php and click on dealers. I'm the only dealer on the Island and will offer you a kick azz deal.