1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box electric conversion PICS POST HERE

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by joeyg999, Jan 20, 2013.

1. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Yes I know there is plenty of threads on this. Yet there is not 1 thread with a bunch of pictures posted. I am getting ready to convert a Warren gas spreader to electric and would like to see if any one has done a 8'6" aluminum to electric.
    With the Pics posted can people put in some specs too. Like sprocket size motor brand and hp ect. .:mechanic:

Here is a couple pictures of where I am at now I just picked up this box and have a 8.5hp briggs I really do not want to use. From what I've read electric seems to be the way to go. Also do I need to change out the shaft with the clutch on it or can the clutch just be welded.
    Any input would be a great help.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

2. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Since you already have a chain driven clutch just keep it. Otherwise you will have to find a 48 tooth or more sprocket and weld to a hub then slip on gearbox shaft. Just wire the clutch to the solenoid. In a few years it might get rusted shut and at that point you will be fine since they normally get stuck engaged not the other way around.

Start off with a 10 tooth 5/8" sprocket for the dc motor. Hook it all up and if you don't like the speed then change it. Just junk that solenoid you have there and get yourself a constant duty version. Run a charge wire to battery on salter. Then a switch in cab to solenoid and your ready to salt.

Next time Im out salting I will take some pics for you

3. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

I have a snow ex electric V box that was left full for a summer and the truck it was in and the wire harness is about all that is going to be saved. The solenoid is there and the control. To bad the snow ex motor died. This sound like it will be really simple.

4. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

In a state like Kansas it will probably be a breeze. You guys end up having stuff like 60 tooth sprockets laying around your house. If not you have ag supply stores there.

In jersey even grainger doesnt carry most of that stuff in stock

5. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

I've got some stuff laying around a so do some friends. Being from boston and ending up here is a big change I tell ya I can go to town and get almost anything i need for most things. To bad we do not get the snow we used to get back east though. We have gotten close to 4" this year and that is up from 0 last year. Hows things back east weather wise.