1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v box drag chain lubricant

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rcnease, Nov 8, 2014.

1. rcnease

rcnease Member

I have two v box spreaders with drag chains. I am trying to figure out what is the best lubricant to use on them. I have been told and currently use a diesel fuel and transmission oil mixture. That makes a huge mess and will drip over the asphalt for quite a while. I am wondering what everyone else uses, and if there is a better way than what I am using as to not damage the area I have to lubricate these things. I live in a residential area so I don't have the ability to just drive into the back yard and just let it rip so to speak. Any thoughts would be great to hear.

2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I just use used motor oil. I can lube the links w/ a squeeze/filler spout on a 1 qt. plastic oil container.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

same except setup but i use new oil .its a little clear and i put the chute in a trash can and leave it run for a while.

4. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Fluid film

5. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Fluid film....and in the spring we clean all of our spreaders thoroughly and then spray all metal parts heavily. Seems to do a real great job. Only been doing it a couple years now but the metal parts still look great with almost no rust or scale and we have had no issues with anything seizing up.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dido. We spray everything down with FF, spreader chain and bolts, entire plows, bolts/nuts on mowers and basically every nut and bolt on equipment. Our 06 plow still looks brand new except for a couple trip springs starting to rust.

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Oil mixture for 25 years, with all the dripping mess, rust scale & oil spitting out on first start up of the winter, and now Fluid Film for the past 2 years with no dripping mess, no rust scale or oil spitting out on first start up of the season.

Fluid Film from now on.

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I won't knock any of the oil mixtures people use because I think most of them work well, but what I like about Fluid Film as opposed to oil is there are no "rainbows" on my customers lots from the dripping lol

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Rhomar Lubraseal

10. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

This will be my first year using fluid film, I will be using it on my brand new drag chain in the spreader and reskinned fisher plow. So I'll see how it works. All I have is a couple rattle cans of it now but will buy a gallon if it works like everyone says. How often should I spray the spreader throughout the season?

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Chain saw oil, stringy , sticks and gets everywhere and is cheap.

12. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

How much Fluid Film is needed to lube the drag chain on a vbox?

13. RSI Const.

RSI Const. Junior Member

I use used vegtable oil. It helps that my brothers own a restaurant and they have friolators, so I have access to all I need. I apply it at the end of each season and then midway through the summer and then again in the fall. You get no rainbows and is non hazardous.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fluid film