1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-box conveyor question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bullit340, Oct 13, 2006.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I was wondering if the larger floor drag chain really reduces the tunneling of sand in the hopper? I have the standard 12" chain and noticed that some sanders have a larger 16" to supposedly reduce the tunneling of sand. I have to buy a new sander and am not sure if its worth the extra $.

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The best way to keep sand from tunneling is to keep it dry. When it is wet it is heavier and will compact more becuse of the extra weight and the water allows it to bond to itself better. The other thing to do if you can help it is to not let it sit for too long. The longer it sits and bounces up and down on itself the more compact it will get.

3. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

z-28 thanks for the reply. I realize all of the above and do take the proper steps to keep it dry, not let it sit etc... I was just doing some research about a new sander and on some mfgs websites they claimed that the wider track prevented the tunneling effect. I am just not sure if it is just hype