1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box Clean up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IA snoman, May 23, 2014.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

What does every one use to clean there conveyor chains and boxes after the season is over. I have power washed my Western Tornado but have been to busy to take it out of the truck and put it away for the summer. The reason I ask is because after owning it for about 4-5 years my conveyor chain rusted to the point that it needed to be replaced. One of the shops I use ordered me a new one but said it was the first one they ever ordered so I must of been doing something wrong. I was spraying Fluid Film all over it after I washed it. I have heard some people have used motor oil but wanted to see what else was out there. I also get mailers for this salt nutrilizer from Rhomar? Lets hear what you're doing!!!
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

We are pulling the drag chains off and storing them in used oil for the summer. We use to do the same as you but after replacing 3 drag chains at the start of last season we are trying something different.
  3. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I've used a different version of the Rhomar neutralizer from another manufacturer. I wanted to try the Rhomar stuff but if I order it to Canada I need to buy 5 pails if I order it to my us address only 2 pails. $200 a pail almost. They wouldn't budge on the min amount. 1 Would have bought a 5Gal bucket. They I guess are interested in doing business with big contractors or big government fleets. I have 3 V boxes. Used the other products and then blasted it with fluid film.
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

When we started buying stainless spreaders years ago, we started pulling chains for the summer. The old steel hoppers would rot out at the same rate as the chains. With the stainless spreaders we have chains that are 10 years old. Occasionally have to replace a couple links or weld in a new crossbar. Now I have all electric units, so in the spring each one gets the drag chain gets pulled, cleaned and sits in oil for a couple days, the front roller and bearings is pulled, cleaned and greased, the electric motor, roller chains and spinner get the same treatment. Then the basically empty hopper is washed out and then we stored them on racks inside and portable tent garage. The chains etc are stored right on the racks with them. Usually in October before we start leaves we will get them all back together ready to be mounted. It's a little bit of work but saves a lot of headaches from frozen bearings and broken chains.
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I just pressure washed that I have in the Ford L9000 I drive. I wish my boss would buy Fluid Film or at least spray it down with used motor oil. The bed chain was new last Fall and I'm hoping it will make it through this Winter. I really don't want to shovel 15 yards of sand out if it.
  7. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i pressure wash my tornado then spray the chain with chain lube then top that with a coat of fluid film. The chain lube penetrates the chain then the fluid film seams to lock it in this has worked will for me in the 4 years i owned tornados