1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box chain

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John DiMartino, Mar 17, 2000.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I was going over my spreader yesterday,in preparation for todays storm when I noticed Im getting thin on adjustment on my chain.This is my first V-box so I dont know how long they last.I can see the link holes are starting to elongate.I am just about out of adjustment now,I cant find any aftermarket so far-if anyone knows where I can get a new chain for this spreader.It is a Bradford SS ST model and its an 8fter. .85yd capacity.I looked at CPW ,no listing. I havent tried my selling dealer yet,I wanted to get a price so I know if he's reaming me.I have kept this chain well oiled and covered all winter,but I guess that stone-dust is more abrasive than sand.Has anyone ever removed a link or elngated the slots on the front to get more adjustment.If I did this I would have a new one on the shelf in case it broke.Id like to get as much as I can out of the old one,at the rate they wear.Thanks John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

No big deal taking links out of that chain. Worst part is finding the pins to re-connect it with. It is probably a &quot;pintle&quot; chain, find a dealer in bearings adn power transmission components, they should have listings for the stuff. The pins are VERY hard, regular bolts will not hold up. Have them get several pairs of pins, grind the heads off the pins in there now on several links, replace those with the pins you have ordered. Be sure to use STAINLESS STEEL cotter pins when you put it back together! Regular cotterpins will rust out, let the repair pins fall out and you have a broken chain. Marine supply will have those cotters. Back your adjuster all the way off, rig a chain binder into your drag chain so you can pull the slack up and have room to work. By doing several pins this time you will only need to remove a link or two next time. Those holes can elongate a LOT before there is a problem with the chain breaking. In my experience the chain will rust out before you will wear the holes through. Get back to me and I'll give you a phone number if you want to talk in more detail
  3. Stephen

Stephen Member

John- my email is not working now for some reason so reply through the forum. There is a place about 5 minutes from where i live in Liberty,NY that makes replacement chains for sanders. I believe they are called Preston chain Corp. but i can't remember for sure. If you do happen to need a new chain or parts i can check and get their name and number and will post it for you. I don't know off the top of my head what the replacement chains we bought cost. Good luck<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>