1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-box capacity and truck and plow......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Land Design, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Land Design

Land Design Member

i did a search but did not find all my answers so here it goes.

I have a 02 1 ton f350 with the 9900# gvw rating. So the question is if i load my stainess v box (560lb. dry) with the recommended 2 yds. of salt (1600-2200lb. per yard depending where you look) in the v box then hook up my 780lb. boss poly v plow how do they recommend this. (they being salter company's recommending v-box's for pickups)

Thing two is does the weight of the plow get inculded in the gvw? i ask this because it is hanging off the front springs and the rears i would think are the estimated "payload".

third is i have a set of timbrins in the rear. they are rated at 6,000lb. i was told. Does this mean if my ford rated payload is 3700lb. and i have 6000lb timbrins on the truck that i average out the new payload capacity? meaning approx. 4500lb.? sounds like to much to me but thats why i'm asking. And yes up till this point i have run the truck with plow and full v box. just curious if this is all the normal wear and tear for a heavy duty work truck or if my E load tires/axles/bed structure/ etc..... is going to be severly damage soon.

Thanks for the help

Land Design :confused:

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

Ive Found that you can get away with alot when your hauling big loads of salt for a short period of time.....i have a dodge 2500 with a v-box salter loaded with 4500# of salt....i was tipping the scales at 13,000#. ...im sure it cant be good in the long run for the truck but i havent had problem related to weight yet:)

3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I'v seen city trucks around here either 250 or 350 (I forget which one) srw, with loaded v-box, and I mean loaded and with boss plows, and it was sagging in the back but it looked like it was handling it pretty good.

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

There's a 01 F350 srw in my neighborhood that has a 3 yard V box in the back of it and a 8.5 Fisher V on the front. I've seen the truck loaded and it does sag but not as bad as you think it would. Actually I was quite impressed at how well it handled all that weight.

5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I run a 3.5 yd cap V-box in both my Super Dutys. With the 03 fully loaded with plow, loaded sander (usually about 3yds), and 8.5 Pro plow I run the scales at about 14,000 lbs give or take a couple hundred either way. The truck has 9,900 GVW, it also has a 2.5" leveling kit in front and 5,000 lbs air bags in the rear.

On my 99 I only have a sander but I run it fully loaded plus a little, with that truck I run the scales at about 15,500 lbs. The truck has all stock suspension, 11,800 GVW (I think).

In my 97 I run a 2 yd sander with 8.5 Pro plow. This truck has the 9,200 GVW with add leafs up front, and a combo 5,000 lbs airbags with add leafs rear. This truck scales in at around 11,000 lbs usually.

Granted I could get by without using airbags or anything on the SRW's but I like the way the trucks look with a big mound of sand in the rear, a plow on the front and the 03 sits dead level and the 97 still about 2" higher in back than the front.