1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box calculations

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WINTER 3, Dec 31, 2008.

1. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

Has anyone ever added a counter on a v box before. I know how much material my spreader puts out in 1 minute (@300lbs on my favorite setting). The problem I run into is the timing. With all the on/off the time is not acurate. My spreader is hydrolic so I thought if I could find a way to count the conveyor shaft rotations I could figure how much material it could spread per rotation. Then at each property all we would have to do is reset the counter, spread material, go to the counter and know how much was used that application. Simple right?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking about nearly the same thing

We load on a scale so even if the salt run out a little faster or slower you could divide the count into how much you started with to figure how much you spread per count

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not vey hard to put a counter on a shaft and people on here have done it. Just not sure why it matters so much, estimating is a close as it needs to be. JMO

4. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I read the salt reduction hand book last season. I am tring to impliment it this year. Plus I can use it for my site records and docs. Do you have any pictures or ect that will help with this?

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think the salt reduction idea is a winner, where did you find that book? I am in a new operation this year and although we do large sites it's all bagged salt.....ugh.. Next year V-boxs or tailgate units on the dumps. But I started a little late to change everything in the 2 weeks before snow and being the new guy they weren't too sure. But now they believe!!!!!!

So billing is easy for us, by the bag. In the past when I had my own show and working for a larger snow contractor the last few winters everything was by the app, nothing less than a half an app was ever billed to my knowledge. Thus billing wasn't an issue, do you ask for billing puposes or inventory tracking or what?

6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I bill 1 price for treated salt. My norm is to plow first to reduce salt usage. The only time I don't salt first is for a dusting. The information was on line. It is called the "winter parking lot and sidewalk maintenance manual" I believe I learned about it here at plowsite. Try to goggle it. If you have problems let me know

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

iv heard about a few guys doing it before, but i didnt think it was that accurate? i guess you could add one on there and get a close guess for this season , but what i would also do , is get a total count for the entire yr, and then get a good average for next yr, but the weight of the salt...the size , even the temps effect its flowing, so im not sure

if your on a hydrolic spreader, at least ashaft driven counter is better than timing it.... every time you step on the gas it would be different