1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v box bridging problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wahlturfcare, Jan 18, 2008.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

one of my v boxs lately keeps bridging everything leaving it hollow underneath even though nothing is packed down. I have to get out and push it down all the time. would the 2001b vibrator help this? anyone else have the same thing?

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we fight the same problem all the time and it could be due to a number of things

the salt is a little damp and freezeing

the salt it "caking" (buy salt w/ anti caking agent)

you are driving around too much before you spread it

you may need to raise the inverted "V" shaped piece above the chain (if equiped)

yes. the vib will help but not solve this problem

is it a metal box or a poly and what type of box is it (chain or auger)

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Well Said PJ.......

You have a V Box??? I thought you still used a push Spreader at wallmart :D

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

No that is Tom LOL

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Any chance doing some DONUTS would solve the problem? :angel:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :drinkup:

6. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

xysport Too Funny !!!!

Mark, it would only help, maybe he needs to climb some snow piles too!!!

7. wahlturfcare

it is a metal vbox. I took the v out of all the trucks as they are a pain. I am spreading sand/salt mixture and it seems to do it all them time now.

8. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

put the V back in thats the problem the v keeps the bridging from happining

good luck

andrew

9. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I will usually find a curb or a speed bump to go over. That usually does the trick for me. I got that off of here last year. I have the inverted V in my tornado and I still get it sometimes. Usually its when I am off loading and not driving around.:drinkup:

10. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Hit a curb at a decent speed with back duals thats what I do if that doesnt work may have to get the bar out and start poking

11. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Ouch!!! I'm sure thats good for the truck & equipment!:eek:

12. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Im not running a nissan

13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the inverted "V" thing keeps the salt or sand from packing tightley against the chain. but if it is high enough it won't create a bridge

the bridge effect normally hapens about 2-3" above the chain in kind of a upside down "U" but normally a kick or two on the side of the box keeps it flowing

i am gonna say that youre salt is a little wet. but there ain't nothing you can do about that

i wonder if a vib would make it worse?

MARK: the do-nut thing might work i'll have to try it.........oh wait i do not have my do-nut'er workin for me now..i'll try it any way:D

Clapper: that's alot of pushin, but i wonder if i could get repo back for me and maybe he could push the spreader around going"VROOM VROOM" LOL

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

LOL yea now with the new sprying Idea better buy a fre back pack sprayers :D

15. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Do you have a top grate on the spreader to break up the clumps as it is loaded? All things being equal a vibrator works well. Added one to our V-box last year and have not had to shovel too much or break up clumps. But then again we run salted sand through it.

16. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Wow, that's about as mature as intentionally beating up equipment. FYI - The Titan is my personal truck that I use for resi's. I also have a 88 F350 4x4 SRW, 89 GMC K3500 DRW Dump, 97 F350 4x4 DRW Dump & 00 Chevy 3500HD Dump and I'll tell you right now, if I caught any of my guys treating any of my equipment like that, they'd be looking for a new job. Simply stating a fact that the work we do is hard enough on trucks and equipment without intentionally ramming curbs and speedbumps at decent speeds. I personally think that this guy would be much better off reinstalling the inverted v to help with his problem. BTW - I wasn't looking for a fight or to cause insult, just thought the methods being mentioned were a bit harsh, and in retrospect, I probably could have worded it a little better. No hard feelings. Happy plowing!!

17. wahlturfcare

i run salt sand mixture throught. it will usually bridge up about 2ft. I took the v out as they never work on my opinion. since i have taken it out it has been flowing alittle better and not blocking the material from the auger. the mixture is pretty well broken up as it gets sifted before loaded through a screen.