1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-BOX AND BULK SALT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OBRYANMAINT, Feb 20, 2000.

1. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

TOYING W/ THE IDEA OF GOING TO BULK SALT NEXT YEAR I KNOW THE PAYOUT WILL BE MUCH BETTER AS WELL AS THE COVERAGE THAT I CAN OFFER BUT NOW I WILL NEED TO BUY LOADER AND STORE SALT SOMEPLACE IF NOT A LOCAL YARD CAN LOAD DURING REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS <br>HOW LONG HAS EVERYONE LEFT SALT INSIDE A V BOX FOR INSIDE? OUTSIDE?I MAY HAVE THE BOX LOADED BEFORE STORM BUT IF IT DOES NOT SNOW HOW TO GET IT BACK OUT?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

OK someone asked something like this once before. <p>1. Find a local supply place that is open during the storm. Then fill up when you are sure you will need salt.<p>2. Find a supply place that will give you a key to their loader, so you can load your self at any time. ( this is what i do)<p>3. Build a salt shead buy a loader to keep at the yard, and stock your own salt. If you buy like 60 yards of salt, then ya you can get it cheaper then at a yard. Only you need a loader and a storage building.<p>Or some people don't load their spreaders to after they have plowed. By then you know for sure if you are going to need salt. Your supplier should be open by then too.<p>Myself we load up before the storm. Put tarps over the spreaders to keep the sand and salt mix dry. Then we plow and after we sand. <p>I would recomend finding a good suppiler before you jump into buying bulk salt and having a storage building. <p>I have left sand and salt in a v-box inside for a week. Outside for a weekend. 70% sand 30% salt mix.<p>Geoff<p>

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Heres, a thought<br>Buy a cover it temp garage, buy 60 yds of salt,lease a loader for 4 months or a bobcat, and supply everyone else and pocket some real$$$$<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I like Dino's idea. Many guys in my area have the sand/salt stored in cover-it instant garages. But, you have to be aware of the different safety regulations for storing salt. &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.saltinstitute.org&quot;&gt;The Salt Institute&lt;/a&gt; has a handbook called The Salt Storage Handbook. They show different idea on how to store salt, and the different laws and regulations about salt storage. For a loader,look in local trader magazines for a used bobcat or small loader. With bobcats, they have the quick-attach system so you can attach different attachments like plows,snowblowers really quick. Another possibility would be to rent a bobcat from a rental store. Most offer winter snow removal specials on rentals.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com<br>

5. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

in most locals there are few and far between places which sell bulk salt and therefore i think dinos idea is great store and sell salt if at all possible.if you are in an area with 1 or 2 bulk salt outlets and you started to sell bulk salt you would be suprised how quickly you would gain customers.we started selling bulk salt this year and were quite suprised how many customers we now service.leaving salt in a sander after a storm is taboo it can come back to haunt you down the road,if it does get wet and you do not use it ,it will activate in your sander and eat away at all metal surfaces,and if it gets wet and the temp drops below 5 degrees it can freeze.if you can find magic salt you can keep it indefinetly in your sander and not have to worry about the freezing or corrosion problems of regular salt.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I want to try some magic salt J,I will call you this week,I hope you are getting more in soon.I thought of getting a bulk delivery of straight salt for next year,there is really no one around here selling it,I have a barn that is 60x80 but it only has a 12ft ceiling and 11ft door.so that kinda kills that idea.My loader only holds .35 yds and will load onlt an 8.5ft side truck,so I need to get a bigger one this year,but I need one anyway for summer work and snow removal.I love the Case 580 ex-hoe,4x4.I ran one for about 60 hrs in last 4 years,they are nice machines and stone reliable.I think it had a 1yd bucket,that should be plenty.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

How much are you guys paying for bulk salt?I have to go 15 miles to buy it from my house and they get $65 a yard,they say that a yard of salt is apprx.a ton.My Uncle can take his KW to Jersey at the port of entry and buy it for $40 a ton+ whatever it costs to get it here.He can get about 24 tons on legal.I think delivery is about 10-15 dollars a ton,if you had to pay.Are these prices high or in line?2or 3 of these dump trailers full would be enough for me and all the guys I know who want it.I bought 27 tons of a salt/stone dust mix and I wont do it again.I will go with sand next year even though it's way messier.I wll mix my own and have a 75/25 mix pile and a straight salt pile so I dont have to take 1-1/2 hr round trip to make 175 profit,that doesn't pay.This was my first year with a v-box so I learned quick that I need to have both ready,and Maybe I'll go with magic salt instead if I can afford to. John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

John D. I apolize for not getting back to you before. please give me a ring as i cannot find your number.those prices are in line for n.y. i just got another 90tons of salt in and should have 250tons by friday.i am going to start spraying today and will have magic by this afternoon.we sell magic for 65.00 per yard.call me<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Well,, I'm down to about a ton of salt in the shed, chances are about 50/50 that it will sit there all summer. We may not see more snow here this spring. <p>So, after a nice chat with John Parker about Magic, I'm heading down there tomorrow to get 20 gallons to try. That wil give me enough to treat a couple tons and coat the equipment for the summer, If ti is as good as the claims I'll be buying more next fall and treating my salt as I put it in the shed for next year.