1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box A-Frame

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MJM Landscaping, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I am looking to build some sort of A frame structure that will allow me to back my truck underneath it, put the body up a little bit, hook a chain to the sander, lower body and drive out. I have kinda designed one but I am worried about the side to side supports.

Anyone got any suggestions or pics??

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

Check with your local town or highway department.. I am sure they have set ups just like what you are looking for. I know some cty garages have them to.. much bigers trucks then your gmc but same idea just down size it... just my thoughts.. let me know how you make out..

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Im planning on hanging mine from a supporting beam on the ceiling of a warehouse. But check around the towns or state facilities. I know IDOT here uses a garage like structure.

Ken

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Find I beams, and support the structure, I have seen people use wood. Biggest problem if you doing it through the winter your going to have to empty the sand unless you make it really beefy!

5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

a couple mafia blocks stacked up high enough to get your truck and sander under it and put some heavy duty beams across the blocks....hang some heavy chains off of the 2 beams or rig up something to use a come-along to raise it high enough so you can drive out.

6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

oh yeah...try and keep the sander empty when not in use...just adds to the corrosion while its sittin in the hangar...

7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

v box lifter

I got a used boat lift that uses cables to lift the boat. Just mount to the structure and use the lift to hook to spreader. There is a reversible motor that lifts the spreader off the truck. I had this one given to me so I do not know how much this lift costs. It has a capacity of 3500 lbs, about 3.5 times the weight of the spreader.

Dave

8. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Well I built one yesterday. Used 4x6 and 4x4 all cariage bolts so I can take it apart and move it.

a frame  1 small.jpg

9. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

one more:::: works good. really sturdy

a frame small 2.jpg

10. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

very nice looks very well built.

11. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

now put that thing under one of those tarped instant enclosure things along with your plow and youre set.

12. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

the place i work for we have telephone Poles not all the way up like we cut them to sizes in hight and then put one across the top the with you wont and then a simple cable come along works great we put the sprayer on it in the summer

13. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

why not just set the spreader down on 2 stacks of wooden pallets?

14. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

how do i get it from my truck to the pallets? without a bucket....

15. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i figured if you had a v... then you probably had a bucket loader or bobcat to load it.:confused:

16. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

no thats the whole reason I built on case I don't have a loader to pick it up. Yet.......

17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

you shouldnt leave it hanging up like that you should set the weight down of cinder blocks or something. me and my buddy built on just liek your...raised it up and it fell on it neighbors fence

18. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

ya I'm gonna biuld something like saw horses to let it rest on. I thoug the same thing, thats alot of money to literally be hanging in the wind.