1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V box 12v spreaders bulk - who makes them?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I know of Snow Ex , what other brands are there? Price is really not the only factor for my consideration next year as much as long term durability and NOT a gas engine.

Im looking most likely for something that will fit either our short or long bed F350s and even if theyre a little too tall for those trucks, to eventually use on a F550 with a 12' landscape body maybe for next year.

How much do they usually weigh for their capacity?
    The single rear wheel long bed F350 we have i know can carry a good 4500lbs in the back with spreader weight
    The dually short bed ive had two skids of salt in the back, hanging off the tailgate and another 15 bags of ice melt packed in and it could take plenty more, assume 6k that one can hold

Do the V boxes only go by weight capacity of salt or yards? Its sold by the ton but most say 2 yard capacity. Can a F350 dually hold 4 yards?

2. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well, to answer your question, Buyers makes the Salt Dogg, Meyers has a low profile electric V-box, I believe Sno-Way has 1, and Downeaster?? (not sure on that 1)
    Oh, don't forget the Western Tornado.
    My Salt Dogg (1500) wieghs around 410 lbs. The biggest thing I noticed is that it has a seperate motor to control spinner and auger speeds independly. Also it doesn't have chain to stretch/wear out.
    I do think you are seriously overloading your vehicle though. I know when I get about 3200lbs on my 1 ton SRW she starts to sag abit and I sure as heck wouldn't want to plow w/ that kind of weight on it. Trannies are expensive:mad:

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running a swenson poly hawk v box with electric motor. Compared to all of problems gas motor salters gave me, I've never had any issues with the electric. The down side is that they spread a little slower than gas or central hyd.

4. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

downeaster makes a complete electric sander. it has an adjustable impeller and seperate auger switch. the one i use also has the optional 14" chain. dunno cost or weight as it is on the company truck. i like electric part as i don't have to leave it running like i hear others around here doing. my box is a 1.9 yard as i have been told and it holds 3500# of salt without being rounded over, but i don't like having that much in there unless i know i am gonna be using it. hope this helps.

mike

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

6. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah i hear ya.. well this was a pic of my shortbed 06 dually...almost 6k in the back with bags of calcium on the sides... it felt pretty good driving, id have put another 1k on it easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well over 3k in the back in that last picture, probably 3500 in salt bags, the hopper was just filled at the last small site so at least 600-700 in the hopper, with the spreader weight of 150, around 4300lbs

7. Ramairfreak98ss

sno4u, actually the night i picked up this salt, there was a crew cab "long bed" f350, i think it may have been an 03-04 model, not an 05+ but there were 3 guys in it, had a rather Large v box in back, looked SS or aluminum, they had it heaping over, and there was about 2" clearance from wheel wells to top of the tires, same setup as mine basically, you see what 6k in weight is like in my short bed and i still had about 8" between fenders/tires. I cant imagine how much weight was on that red truck, it appeared to be a 2wd model "sits lower for the fords at least" but was an fx4 lol, probably 9k+ back there!

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Is that the only downside? if an electric still works, what benefits do gas ones have? seems anything larger than 1.5-1.7cu yard boxes are ALL gas still. Why?

Looks like ill be looking at a 1.5~ yard 6-8ft box for next season, if i ever get a 12' landscape body f550 ill just get another larger model. Air flo has ones upto like 16', but their weights are well over 2k in anything over 10' by then!

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Buyers is making a 4 yard electric now.
    I have a 2 yard Buyers that is under 500 #s dry. It fits good in my s10, and I put air shocks in the back to help with the extra weight. It holds 2.5 tons heaped, although the s-10 sags a little when I load it that heavy.

10. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I saved money and went with the Western Tornado [used]. Had to rebuild the electric motor but it really surprised me in it,s power. Only 6.5 ft. long and comes with a top. Might like it better than my new stainless saltdogg gas [8 ft. 10.5 hp.]

11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I'd reallty like to see some pics of that s10 loaded up ! You're hilarious!:dizzy:

12. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

your a bit light.....for the seven years I've been Plowing My silverado always has 50-80lb salt bags and 10-50lb calcium bags loaded all nite total of 4,500lbs...I plow with that load and then salt..but usauly when I just go out and salt I throw in another 10 salt bags in the the truck so a total of 5,300lbs on a 3/4 Ton Chevy In my sig.wesport:rolleyes:

13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've been looking at the electric v-box option also, I've used the downeaster spreaders and liked them very much. After some research I am leaning towards the air-flo, I like the dual motor option. More control and though I'm no engineer it seems like there is so much less strain on the dual motor setup.

14. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

i have a salt dogg 2 yarder on a dodge 2500 with helpers on the truck i can heep that thing to about 2.5 ton or more doesnt sag too much because of helpers but i do that all the time because i dont want to keep going back for more salt and the salt dogg is a great spreader just what i think but i see everyone using them around here i guess if i didnt like it i wouldnt of bought another one this year

15. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah i just saw on their site they have 2 and 2.5 and 4 yarders... Even the 4 yard i could probably get this coming year, even for the 1 tons and just not fully load it up if say 2-3 yards already looks plenty heavy on the trucks. Id love to just go outside, load up a few buckets of salt and salt every one of our properties lol.

16. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

here's a link to the electrics i use. 1/2 HP motor on conveyor and 1/8 on spinner. very well built, swing up chute, http://www.smithspreaders.com/

17. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

fwiw....there is also one on avalanche's site

18. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Does truck craft make one? I saw an electric tailgate replacement for my 450. And I think they had a vbox too.