1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V bov vs. undertailgate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by karl klein, Feb 28, 2005.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have been running a v box swenson for 4years and love it for salting works great but it takes up the entire bed all winter long and is very hard to see threw while plowing. i was thinking about going to a undertailgate sander for my next one has anybody else switched brom a v to a undertailgate? please let me here your comments

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

If the v box is hard to see thru while plowing , turn your head around and look thru the front window instead. ( sorry Its just the way you wrote it not trying to offend you )

What I did was sink 2 poles in the ground with a I beam across it and a chain fall . If I deeded the truck bed I backed under this and the v box was out in 10 minutes. I prefer v boxes , first you dont have to pick up bags , salt is cheaper in bulk , I can spread faster due to loading time. I can spread sand /salt /or cinders .

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

well maybe thats why i dont see a advantage with the 810 i was using backwords lol.

the UNDERTAILGATE sander mounts on a dump bed and it will take bulk salt/sand

81 dumptruck 002.jpg

4. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Look into a truckcraft tc 140. You will love it.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We have one of each, and a RDS body, and each have their advantages. Our undertailgate spreader has the best spread pattern of all 3. If you have a lot of narrow areas or lanes to salt, it will not be better, IMO. If you are doing a lot of parking lots, it will work fantastically, as long as you have a large enough pump.

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

What do you all think the best models are for the under tailgate spreaders? Should I get the dual spinner one? :rolleyes:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would stick with a single spinner, but I highly recommend the dual auger model. It does a good job of breaking up chunks. It won't break all of them up, but it will a lot.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both types of spreaders but I no longer use my tailgate one. I found that constantly putting the box up and down is very time consuming. If you drive around with the box part way up then that is also hard on the box and truck. I would recommend a vibrator kit if you are going to get one of these types. I also find if you have a truck that would carry a lot of salt (F550) then the pile of salt you put in the back, you can't see over anyway. Driving with the box 1/2 way up also limits the spread pattern as the spinner is very close to the ground. The make a tail gate replacement model that works the same way but allows the spinner to be a lot higher. The town here uses some of these and they work very well. You need to buy the dual auger with any of these types of spinners. I am now using a dual drive Swenson V box spreader.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you go to www.bonnell.com and check out model 161-dd you can see the replacement model and they also have 2 on their inventory surplus sale.

10. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

If your happy w/ your spreader stick w/ it . Get a rear mounted video camera mounted on the box. I just got the Savv 5000. The 5" color screen fits over your existing rear view mirror. The camera mounted on the v box. Its designed to work when you put it in reverse...but I had my guy put mine on a toggle switch... this way I can use it as a rear view mirror. Cost was $495 installed and $50 for the toggle switch. Worth every cent...last week in the Bronx NY a plow driver killed a nine year old girl playing in a snowpile....He didnt even know he hit her....
    Regards
    Jack