1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v boss snow plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bigboss1977, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

I currently have a 8'0 super duty boss plow. I found a really good deal on a used boss v snow plow. From what I understand the power wire is the same, but the other wire isn't. Is it possible to keep both control wires so if I wanted to switch between the straight blade to the v blade I could. Going to ad another truck in a month or two, I have a sub for a back up....so I'm covered there. But thought it might be nice to have this option to be able to switch between the two plows. Any input would be great....Thanks.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Everything is the same except the controller. Boss is great like that. Infact, if you were to get a V plow controller, you could still use it for your straight blade.

The only difference in 11 and 13 pin Boss harnesses is a couple more grounds for lighting. I've never ran into a situation where one didn't work with the other.

Western is a wiring mess. Maybe that's what someone had mixed up when you were told that.

3. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah the guy that I'd buy it from has the controller for the v plow. And I thought everything would be the same. The boss dealer out here isnt the greatest. He said the power wire is the same but the other isn't and id need to purchase another set of wires if I wanted to use the v plow. I just thought hey in case one plow ever goes down it would be nice to pick another as cheap as this one is. Then when I get the other truck id of course mount everything to that. But in the mean time I wanted to use both, changing from one to the other if I wanted. Manage I'd use the v plow mostly but guess it would be nice to change if needed. So you think everything is the same so I could use both plows?

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes, no doubt about it

5. bigboss1977

from Utah

Cool, thanks.

6. elecblu

elecblu Member

My guess, once you use the BOSS V, you'll be looking to sell the straight blade. With the reliability of the BOSS plow, no need to have a spare straight blade just sitting there.

7. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

What he may be referring to is the headlight adapter. Is the V-plow coming off the same make of truck? If it is Ford to Chevy or etc the headlight adapters won't work. You need to know what type of truck its coming off of.

8. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah that's what I was actually thinking...even my boss super duty has been awesome. Kind of funny my back up sub had already called me twice this year to back him up due to his fisher plow breaking down. Guess I better find a sub with a BOSS plow.....Lmao.

9. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah coming off a Chevy going onto a Ford.

10. bigboss1977

from Utah

Guess I could use his controller and plug it in right, use the power to at least get the plow hooked up and home right? Or no? I just wouldn't have light to plow? Is this right?

11. kurtandshan

But if your straight plow is the same generation IE RT3 you should be ok. If you have all the wiring in your ford already, you should be able to just plug in your vplow controller,hook up the V-plow and away you go. If the Ford isnt wired yet THEN you need a headlight adapter. I was confused, forgot you already had a straight blade on the truck should be no issues..:dizzy:

12. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah same generation I think RT3

13. kurtandshan

Yup, just plug in the v controller, hook up the v blade and plow to your's and your Ford's content! Have fun.:salute:

14. bigboss1977

from Utah

Awesome, thanks.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

An RT2 harness is the same too. You can unplug an old rocker switch controller and plug in a brand new handheld.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You don't even need the V controller to get the plow home if it isn't handy. You can run a V with a straight blade controller and it will operate just like a straight blade, you just won't have independent control of each wing. And that isn't always important if you're in a pinch.

You have to watch that. Most 11-pins don't have the needed ground in the controller plug to run a handheld. Needs added usually.

17. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I am in the process of putting my new v-plow together and used my buddies truck with a straight blade on it the other day to move it. It totally freaked him out that you could do that by just switching the controller! Probably wasn't smart on my part, he'll probably come over and swap his for mine some day. I think this is one of the biggest assets that boss has, plows being interchangeable like that. MUD