1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-blades?????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by V10SCOTTY, Feb 3, 2005.

1. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

HELLO I GOT A 1998 DODGE RAM EXT CAB 2500 4X4 V10.I'M GONNA DO SOME PLOWING NEXT YEAR AND VERY SOON IS THE TIME TO PICK UP AN "OLD STOCK" BLADE. oK SO i AM THINKING V-BLADE....BOSS OR FISHER? OR IS A STRAIGHT BLADE THE ANSWER.mAYBE A WING FOR MY DODGE OR WILL IT DESTROY MY TRUCK? I PLAN ON DOING HOURLY STUFF WHATS A RESONABLE RATE WHERE I CAN MAKE SOME MONEY AND WHERE I DON'T PISS OFF THE LOCAL PLOWERS FOR WORKING TO CHEAP.ANY PRICING FROM ANY REGION WOULD BE COOL BUT I AM IN KITCHENER-WATERLOO ONTARIO. :drinkup:

1998 RAM V10
    2004 WESTERN STAR TRI-AXLE DUMP TRUCK MBE450

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Well, if you are needing to move snow around then you might want a v plow. If you don't need to move it around much, then a straight blade would probably be fine. I think a side plow would work nice with a v plow, but either way you can clear more snow with it. your truck will be fine. Just adjust suspension, springs or timbrens if needed.

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

IMO you should go with a V. If possible I would get the Western MVP. What kind of lots with you be taking on?

4. sd350

sd350 Junior Member

depending on size of lots or driveways V-plow will move more in shorter time-- as for boss or western i like the boss but have heard good things about western

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

i would go with a fisher V. They are only a couple hundred more and can do everything a straight blade can do and even more with the scoop and V function. I have used a V to break through about 8" of snow straightend the blade and then used scoop to clean up and stack.

6. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

OK THANKS GUYS I'M GONNA PRICE OUT A FEW GIFFERENT V-BLADES TODAY I WILL BE THINKING OF A WING CAUSE IT LOOKS SO COOL SO BIG SQUARE LOTS IS WHAT I'M GONNA TRY FOR.WHO'S GOT ANY WING DETAILS FOR THE ONTARIO AREA?WHERE DO YOU GET THEM? WEB SITES? I HAVE YET TO SEE A PICK UP WITH A WING ON AROUND HERE.SO WHATS A GOOD RATE? ALL HOURLY RATES IS WHAT I'M GONNA DO...SO IS SOMEBODY WILLING TO OPEN UP AND REVEAL THEIR SECRET.........OK THANKS GUYS :drinkup:

1998 RAM 2500 V10 (NO BLADE OR WING YET)
    2004 WESTERN STAR TRI-AXLE DUMP MBE450

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I guess you would tack on the extra cost of the wing for what it is worth in it's length. Example only. If a sub is getting paid $60 and hour for a truck with a 8' blade, and your sidewing can clear a 4' pass, then maybe the same truck would be worth $90 an hour. I would think that would be a fairly generous increase for a side plow too.

8. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Thanks For The Responses So Far Guys..i Can't Be Thinkin To Straight Here If I Wanna Work By The Hour Why Would I Try To Speed Things Up To Much With A Wing And V-blade Or Can I Charge A Minumum For Just Pulling On To The Site.like For Example A 1 Hour Minimum Charge?????i Charge A Three Hour Minimum For My Tri-axle Dump Truck At $70 An Hour Nobody Seems To Complain Too Much But Is The Snow Plow Business Different?