1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V blades vs. Wide Out’s

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bob's 24 hour, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Bob's 24 hour

Bob's 24 hour Junior Member

Hello All:

In a previous post I asked your thought's about straight vs. V blades (I have a straight and looking to upgrade). My contracts are all residential driveways, 8’ to 36’ wide and 60’ to ¼ mile long. Snow is pushed to the side of the driveways or pulled/pushed to the street, either way, cleanup always takes time especially with a straight blade, hence my desire to upgrade.

Wide Out’s (Fisher and Western) have not been out that long so I am curious to hear comments from those who have one.

Question: Have you experienced any maintenance/breakage issues with you V or Wide Out plow's and if you have pushed with both, your thoughts.

Again, I thank you in advance for your comments.

Bob

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i have both a boss 9'2" V on the ford and a blizzard 810 power plow on our chevy dump (same thing as a wideout or xls) though ive heard from people that they think the blizzard is beefier.

they both have their place, if you do alot of backdragging, the blizzard cleans better b/c it is alot heavier. though i dont think the quality of the blizzard is up to par with BOSS. the blizzard will move more snow, but since you are doing drives i dont know if thats such a big issue. i used to do drives with both plows, now i use the boss only b/c the blizzard is on lot duty, the only thing i missed was that the blizzard cleaned better.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Since you are doing residentials I wold go for the V. Sure, you might speed up your time a little with the wideout/ blizzard plow, but you can't bust through huge bankings as easy either. I think the wideout/blizzard plows really shine cleaning lots and commercial stuff. You can always put wings on your v plow if you aren't satisfied with its performance.

4. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

I use a blizzard 810 that i use for my driveway route, love it. I don't really see the point of a v plow period now that expanding plows are around. I've never run across I snow bank I couldn't get through.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I second what strongmd says, although I still like the c-plow for residentials.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Considering this was/is being discussed in the other thread, this topic is useless. What I did when I went shopping for a plow is: Used the search feature on this and the other plow sites. And read about all the different plows in the respective forums. The what is better threads have been for the most part pointless. Also check out different dealers in your area, see what you can get serviced. Lastly ask your dealer to play with one (if they have one on their truck).

7. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

i am a fan of straight blades there tough and reliable but if you wish to upgrade i think a wide out would be good from western because you can scoop with it and it could be 8' or 10' with the push of a button check out their site good luck!

Some people hate snow i love it:):)<

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

I have plowed with both and now I only run wide outs

9. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Duh....The scooping ability. Very seldom do I V either. Sometimes I need to though. But I am always scooping, wheter its just a tad bit of scoop or full scoop.

10. PTSolutions

i have actually used the v quite a bit this month, on our longer narrower driveways i put it in v mode and open the wings just a bit and clear most of the driveway that way with one pass and so ill only need to backdrag a little bit.

and the v mode is good for breaking up hard packed/frozen piles to make room for more snow

11. lilweeds

Ummm... My 810 will out scoop any v-plow. The scoop on the expandables holds alot more snow then any v. Yes unless you have drifting snow banks to break through a v is useless.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dumbest post I've seen in a long time.

Put wings on a V and hold twice the snow of your 810.

Also in reference to the topic at hand, my Boss 9'2" V has never given me any trouble.

13. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I have an old Boss 9' 2" Vee that I put ProWings on and made it 11 feet wide. In scoop mode it's not even a contest. Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that all of the snow FORWARD of the tips of the wings is of the same volume. Now measure the AREA inside of the moldboard of a extendable (winged) straight blade, (Blizzard, WideOut, etc..) and measure the area inside of a winged Vee.

The Vee will always have more AREA, you can measure this for yourself.

More area, more snow, period.
    Look at the picture in post #12 of Alaska Boss' 2 rigs. Alaska Boss already had this argument with himself and he won!

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53345

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  14. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You definately have a point that a large v with wings will hold more than an 810. I wouldn't want to use that in a driveway. At least with the push of a button, you go from 8' to 10' or scoop or windrow. Pretty versatile plow. Beats getting out of your truck to take those wings on and off whenever needed.

15. lilweeds

I'm talking stock plow NO EXTRA WINGS. If you'd like My 810 could be fitted with danger wings and out scoop your V!

Also alaska boss did a great job, but that's a speedwing! Take off his wings and the speedwing has more area, and again I could fit my 810 with wings.

Speedwing is another great plow, but it's not the same as the 810!

V plows have their uses, but unless you need to break open heavy drifts, I still don't see the point.

16. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If you need to put wings on the v then you need to compare a blizzard with wings to be apples to apples. Both of these are not going to be great for a driveway. I started with western proplows in a condo complex. It worked but the clean up took too long. I bought an 810 in 03 and was amazed. As was stated above I have never had a drift I could not get through so a v was never really cosidered. I like the ability of steering the snow with the blade.

On my new truck I went with a Blizzard S.W. and love it. It has most of the advatages of a power plow with the simplicity of a straight blade. Alot of people worry about back blading with the s.w. but it's not a proplem. In the condo situation it takes a minute to pin the wings, then drag the drives , unpin and clean it up ! For a single drive it works fine you can get just as close as any plow with bolt on wings. I always shovel in front of garages so it's a nonissue for me. I plow a mix of comm. and res. so it;s great for both. If you want the reliability of a straight with the performance of a expanding plow the S.W. is the answer. My 860 s.w. was less than my buddies 8' straight fisher !!!

Good Luck , shaun

17. lilweeds

Oh and guys again I use an 810. I still firmly believe for what Bob is doing a snoway with DP is what he needs!

18. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I agree. Just because you add a little cup to the end of your straight blade does not mean it will hold more snow than a V in full V or hald V or whatever. Not to mention adding wings on a V. wesport

19. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

You are not very open minded. By your posting, I assume you have never ran a V. I agree with you that the V postion is not needed hardly at all. The scooping ability is where its at.
    Listen, a Boss V with Boss wings is equal to the best a Blizzard can do as far as scooping. But than, the V plow can scoop a little, a little more, more, or all the way. Even with out the wings its an advantage.
    In my opinion, the Blizzard is a great plow no doubt. You have a straight blade with the hyd. capability of adding wings. But you can't scoop any more than that.

20. PTSolutions

take it from someone who has both a blizzard 810 power plow and a 9' 2" Boss V.

the blizzard can move a ton of snow, but your also gonna have some issues. problem with ours:
    -cracked welds on both sides of the main a fram where the angle irons meet the center beam on the push frame
    -blowing fuses all the time, not sure if this is fixed but we added a 220 amp alt and dual batteries just to make sure
    -king pin bolt nut kept coming undone, like 5 times, we finally drilled through it and applied another bolt to keep it from unscrewing. common issue on others as well.
    - bent wings, the moldboards of the wings will bend forward over time as a result of normal wear and snow/ice getting packed into the slideboxes, now as your pushing your mountain of snow you have alot escaping from the gap that has opened up between the wings and the main moldboard. and trust me, we do alot less plowing than most of the people running blizzards on here.
    -a blizzard will wear the front end components of a truck faster than any other plow out there. just b/c of its weight.
    -paint job absolutely blows
    -cutting edges are $$$$

now, has this plow increased our productivity? absolutely. is it a shame is has these issues? yes, but ill be the first one to throw an 8611 onto a c4500 that we plan on getting.

and from what ive heard from actual peoples experience is that the western/fisher variants are not built as well, and the newer blizzard models have had some cut corners in design.

honestly i really like both plows, i just wish the blizzard was built better, if BOSS would make one like that, then id be a customer for life. i think their quality is better.