1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Blade Plowing with Chevy 1500?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dobronos, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dobronos

dobronos Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello, I know this question has been brought up many times about plowing with a 1500 (1/2 ton truck). I know it's not the best to use but it's what I have and I don't want to add another truck. I have questions about plow style and what I can do to get the most out of my 1500. First off I know I am going to go with a Boss plow. The dealer that I am close with handles Boss plow's and I really like them. I'm stuck with the decision of a straight blade or a v blade. I am sold on the v blade and I love the idea. My worries are that my truck can't handle the added weight that a v blade carries. A boss straight blade is between 300-400 pounds and the v blades are 700-800 pounds. I talked to my dealer and they said it isn't recommended to put a v blade on a 1/2 ton but with some modification you can make it work. If I do go with the v blade, what will I need to do to the suspension/frame/etc. to beef it up in order to handle the extra weight of a v blade? The truck is a 99 Chevy 1500 ext. 5.3 v8 with 4 inch suspension, 3 inch body lift, and 35's. I love the way the truck looks lifted I want it to still look the same but still be able to handle the extra weight of a v blade. I hate the look when the plow weighs down the truck so much in the front. I want the truck to sit level when the plow is attached. Thanks - Mike

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

The GMT800 half ton is tougher than it gets credit for, but that still sounds like too much plow for the truck regardless of further suspension modifications.

3. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I think Fisher and Boss make a 7' 6" V that is for 1/2 tons??? Thought I see a guy around with a V on a regular cab short bed...looked like an awful lot for the truck.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. dobronos

dobronos Junior Member
    from Ohio

Boss does make a 7'6" v blade but I'm still worried about the weight.. Anyone else have any input? Thanks - Mike

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 96 Dodge 1500 with a BOSS 7'6" & Wing that make it 9' 4". People say I am crazy but I love it. 2" lift with 3/4 ton springs. It has a Dana 44 up front. In the 70s they put Dana 44 in 3/4 tons. Your truck may need new torsion bars to take it. And it will eat away at front end parts. I would do it. Just keep an eye on the ball joints, wheel bearings. :mechanic:

6. dobronos

dobronos Junior Member
    from Ohio

Just searched around and got some more info. I think I'm going to just have to settle with the straight blade. Thanks for the help. - Mike

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

No way man a guy on here runs a 7.5' boss V on a jeep wrangler has for years and makes the bank with the rig. I think it's bad @ss if you can make it work.

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen 7'6'' Boss Vs on Chevy 1500s before. Regular cabs seem to be able to take a huge plow compared to extended cabs. According to Fisher eMatch, a regular cab 2006 GM half ton can hold up to an 8'6'' HD. Try it. The extended cab can hold up to a 7'6'' HD.

10. theholycow

The wheel bearings for this truck are one of its weakest and most expensive parts. They fail repeatedly with normal driving, let alone with an 800 pound plow. At least they're easy to replace...if you can find one with a lifetime warranty at Autozone or something, you could just replace them a few times a year.

11. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

You will be replacing wheel bearings and shafts on a regular basis , but you can plow with a Chevy 1500 . I did it for years with an 89 I had , with a 7'6" Diamond heavy duty ! Don't bother buying the expensive wheel bearings , they don't last any longer than the cheapies , on a plow truck ! You don't have to change torsion bars either , just crank up the stock ones , they never break ! You are also going to want a good pair of HD shocks on the front !

12. Snown13

Snown13 Junior Member

My opinion is go with a straight blade. Get some wings and save the truck from overloading the front end. V plows are really great but if you are repairing the truck constantly, it wouldn't be worth it to me. I started with a 1500 w/7'6 snoway poly. Sure it isn't as good as a v plow but if you plow smart you can still be very happy with them. Good luck, Great choice going with BOSS. My favorite.

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Autozone lifetime warranty is void if parts are for commercial use. Says do on the receipt which is why all the parts I buy there are for my "daily driver"

14. theholycow

[​IMG] ;)