1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V blade or straight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BossPlowGuy04, Nov 29, 2009.

1. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

hey guys, this will be my 4th year plowing and im adding a second truck this year. Im getting a 2009 2500hd. Im trying to decide weather to get a 8.5ft straight blade or i belive its a 8.2 V blade both plows would be western. The truck i have now has a 7'6 stright blade on it. I guess what are the advantages and disadvantages of a V blade.

RIVERVIEW7 Member

i run both v and straight blades and i say go with the v they are more efficent
  3. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

hope you dont mind a threadjack, as its kinda relevant...can you(or has anyone) put wings on a V-blade?
  4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

The v can also be a straight ;)
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

eeney meeney miney mo:

v blade ftw! unless you want an expandable...
  6. AGM Inc.

AGM Inc. Member
    from Ohio

ya most people feel the need for a v. i dont thinks its worth it. i c it used in long narrow driveways. i would never use it in a v. unless i had a lot with cars on both sides, id get a straight for sure. and even then how much snow fits in the v form.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you have never used a Vee plow. You should not be giving advice about something you know nothing about. There are plenty of guys here who have used both types, and can offer REAL, VALID comparisons.

I have a Vee, and would never go back to a straight blade.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  8. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

I have never ran a Western V before, but here are somethings to consider. Do the Western V's hold up as well as their straight blades do? Do you want to invest the extra money into a V? Do you have accounts that will warrant a V plow? Are their V controls easy to learn? The V plow is really nice for cleanup work, but from my experience most of the time I am using the plow it is angled to one side or another. I run a Boss V. Just my $.02
  9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

straight blade gets the job done but the v will make you much more productive. time is money!
  10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not Palmer? Seems to be the trend around here lately. I've used both, but I'd rather sit back & see how this goes. :drinkup:
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh Snap! Silly me......
  12. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

What type of work are you doing??? How do you get paid. By the hour, Per push etc.

Thats has alot to do with it.
  13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

AGM, V isn't so much about the V but the scoop, saves backing up for windrow cleanup and carries tons more snow, V plows aren't so much more money these days so I'd say DEFINITELY go V. And maybe search this topic, it's been discussed a thousand times.
  14. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have used both now i have only Boss Vs never will i go back to straight blades. If you have a little common sense you can learn how to handle them with ease on a job that would take 1 1/2 hrs with a straight blade dropped to 1 hr with V big time saver. In my area if you sub you get more $$ if you have a V and it only about $600.00 more if you buy new
  15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I am going to be the guy who has to take the other side of the fence on this one.

I have plowed with both types of plows and have different opinions on them.

V-Plows are one of the most awsome inventions ever made they are as fast and if you know how to run one well, faster than a stright blade... the only problem is there are many more parts, wires, hinges and valves that can go bad.

Where I plow, I travel over 1 1/2 hours on a dry day away from the shop. My feeling has always been the more parts that you have to break, the more parts that you will break when you need them most. I have always carried enough parts to damn near rebuild my plow while in the parking lot, but I prefer the simpleness of a plain old stright blade.

As stated before, it all depends on what you plow, how handy you are, how far you are from home base and most of all, are you getting paid per push or per hour.
  16. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Being in a rural area, the V is as important, if not more so for me. I've got a lot of longer driveways that the V is needed to bust through that first pass. I have some driveways that would be nearly impossible with a straight blade. The scoop, however, is essential to cleanups of wider drives, parking areas and lots. So, I guess I would say both features are critical to me.

Buy the V!!!
  17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

straight blade: durable, simple, least expensive. leaves corn rows, takes longer to clean-up.
    straight blade with ProWings: same as above but corn rows are about eliminated, plow times are significantly decreased for areas that need snow moved or are larger. just have to be careful with the wings because they can get bent if your rough. its nice to put the wings on the grass, the blade cleans the driveway and the wings bench the grass so you can open your car door easier.
    v-plow: more expensive, more parts to break, heavier. great for deep snow, long runs, clean-ups, drive-thrus and circle drives. and you can put wings on them. not sure about the backdragging, I've only use the v for commercial purpose. the learning curve is short.
  18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

My chevy 2500HD loves the 8.2 V
  19. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

When i bought the new plow i just got i was looking at Vs but the guy who I'm subbing for wont pay anymore money for a V. Plus I'm doing roads so i see no good reason for a V. I price the two out.

8.6 straight - 4924
    8.6 V - 5885

Both prices were installed.
  20. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I am running some straight blades and this year we put a boss9.2 V-XT on one of the trucks, i went back and forth all summer long on going with a expandable or v plow, went witht the V for the long drifted drives that we have as it will bust though much easier. next year we are putting a speed wing on our 01 chevy and if we dont replace our 92 chevy it will get one as well. all 3 styles of plows have there strong points and there week points, it all depends on what you want to do with it and how productive you want to be.